Hasselblad H1 or Mamiya 645 AFD?

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's the plan. I want to go MF again. I miss my H1 a LOT. I'm planning on buying a system with a film back, then making the leap to a MF digital back when the time arrives. Now, here's the question. If you had to pick based on a few factors (budget, glass quality, and overall quality-it's a professional tool, and I'll be beating the piss out of it) which would you choose and why?

For the record, a complete 645AFD with film back and 80mm runs around $800 (less if you can snag the body and back separate from the lens). A Hasselblad H1 runs around $1500-2,000.

I can't speak much on the hassys, having never owned one, but I loved my mamiya 645 1000s.
The lenses were inexpensive, but good quality.
The only caveat to that system was it didn't have interchangeable backs, which for some people is a deal breaker. I didn't mind. The 1000s was not AF either, but it was also a lot less than $800 with my 80mm f4 macro lens.
You could buy a few nice lenses with the price difference between the mamiya and the hassy.

On the other hand...hasselblad.

I'm not sure what the negative size is on the H1, but I remember the 645 being a little smaller than the traditional medium format size. Don't know if that's something you are concerned with or not, but it's worth mentioning.

The H series are all 645 cameras too. Trying to compare apples to apples here as much as possible.

That lens you mention will also work on the AFD. The other option is the 120mm Macro, which is also manual focus only (but has an AF confirm chip, I think).

I had a 1000s as well as an M645J, 645 Super, and some other iteration of the Mamiya 645 system, just never an AF. I like the ergonomics of the Super and the H1 (similar to the AFD), so I imagine the question here is really reliability and cost vs quality, meaning is the H1 really WORTH that much more than the 645 AFD?

The H series are all 645 cameras too. Trying to compare apples to apples here as much as possible.

That lens you mention will also work on the AFD. The other option is the 120mm Macro, which is also manual focus only (but has an AF confirm chip, I think).

I had a 1000s as well as an M645J, 645 Super, and some other iteration of the Mamiya 645 system, just never an AF. I like the ergonomics of the Super and the H1 (similar to the AFD), so I imagine the question here is really reliability and cost vs quality, meaning is the H1 really WORTH that much more than the 645 AFD?
Eh...
For me, if im budgeting 2k for a hassy and a lens, I would just get the mamiya and 2 (maybe even 3) good lenses, prism finder, trigger grip, and whatever other misc things I could find and still only spend the same 2k.

Then again, I've never owned a hassy so...there might be something there that makes it worth it.
I've owned a Rolex and can honestly say. ...nice watch, would never spend the money on one again.

That's where I think I am with the Mamiya. At least the prism's built in on the autofocus models. I'm just hoping the lenses are close to as good. I know their new Schneider lenses are absolutely incredible and equal, if not surpass, the Hasselblad glass, but I wonder how their standard stuff compares. Particularly when you can find an 80 2.8 for $150.

That's where I think I am with the Mamiya. At least the prism's built in on the autofocus models. I'm just hoping the lenses are close to as good. I know their new Schneider lenses are absolutely incredible and equal, if not surpass, the Hasselblad glass, but I wonder how their standard stuff compares. Particularly when you can find an 80 2.8 for $150.

In some sense I think you are paying a premium for the hassy name.

I've got a bunch of old Mamiya 645 glass and have no issues with it at all. Granted, I've never really put it through the wringer as far as testing goes, and all I use it for is 'for fun' stuff like landscapes and such, but I am fairly picky, and have not had an issue with any of it, though some of the older lenses do suffer from a bit of CA.

How old is this glass, John? Are these AF lenses?

Pix, you're totally right there. I know a majority of the price is due to that, but I just wonder if it's worth dealing with that premium. The camera BODIES aren't that expensive-it's the lenses that hurt so much. And the price gougers that sell HV-90x prism finders for $400 when they're worth $50.

Most H1 bodies I saw a few months back around Toronto were beaters, smoked-borderline abused/ shot-to-death examples of a workhorse system.Glass is crazy expensive. Problem with industry standard Hassies is that nearly all lead hard lives. Though less common, the Mamiya is probably the better deal all round.

How old is this glass, John? Are these AF lenses?

Pix, you're totally right there. I know a majority of the price is due to that, but I just wonder if it's worth dealing with that premium. The camera BODIES aren't that expensive-it's the lenses that hurt so much. And the price gougers that sell HV-90x prism finders for $400 when they're worth $50.
They vary; the only AF lens in that kit is the 80mm.... I used it in the studio a few times, but actually preferred the MF lenses for my "getting out and ignoring the rest of the world take-my-time photography"

So it begins. I bought an 80mm f2.8 off KEH for $180. Stupidly cheap for a medium format AF lens.

Exactly. I'll buy the rest in January and February, then 2017 comes the digital back.

Really depends what I buy. I'm thinking a used Phase One. The Leaf backs are stupid expensive and I don't really like the Aptus interface (let's be honest it's not gonna be a Credo) as much as the Phase One.

Most reactions

Back