Hat Photos

1WFlora

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, y'all!
I'm a pretty big newb to photography, so none of mine are probably going to be on the level of spectacularness of most of yours, but I figured I'd post them regardless.
I wear a hat (Stetson Gallatin for anyone wondering the maker and model.), ever day, and when out hiking or working on woodsmanship skills I find myself taking photos of my hat quite a bit.
Any critique is most definitely wanted, I'd like to expand my abilities in photography so I'll take whatever advice I can get.
1631238071008.jpeg

1631238298584.png

1631238361613.png

1631238458431.png

… none of mine are probably going to be on the level of spectacularness of most of yours…
Don't worry about that yet… it will come, just give yourself the
time to develop at the same time, technique, artistic intent and
communicational composition — aka story telling.

…all that while having a good time! :encouragement:

Last edited:
Nice set. I suggest you set your hat up with a real nice bg, good light and a shallow dof, kind of like how one would shoot a bird and make that hat a thing of beauty. Not that it isn't a good looking hat. :wink-6:

so none of mine are probably going to be on the level of spectacularness of most of

I don't know about that, I think most would be happy to claim that last one.

Thanks all!
@K9Kirk I'll mess around with that a little bit.
@smoke665, thank you, all the photos besides that one are taken with a Canon RebelXS, whilst surprisingly that one was taken with an old iPhone 6, and it does prove the best camera is the one you have on you.
I should have mentioned that, sorry about that.

all the photos besides that one are taken with a Canon RebelXS, whilst surprisingly that one was taken with an old iPhone 6, and it does prove the best camera is the one you have on you.
I should have mentioned that, sorry about that.
Which adds credence to the adage "Its not the equipment that makes the photographer".

I think its a creative set, I like it. That is a truly fine hat. Also a great photographic exercise to make many different images of the same subject. You could get some wide angle shots, showing scenery, or how about a H.I.F. (hat in flight) shot?!

The last 2 have really good composition, I think. The hat makes for an interesting focal point in some creative settings.

I think its a creative set, I like it. That is a truly fine hat. Also a great photographic exercise to make many different images of the same subject. You could get some wide angle shots, showing scenery, or how about a H.I.F. (hat in flight) shot?!
Thank you.
I believe I’ll do some more wider angle shots, I had thought of it before but I think y’all have made some good points on the wider angles.
I really like your HIF idea, could end up being pretty nice!
I’ll play around with some new angles and such once I get back today.
Thanks!

The last 2 have really good composition, I think. The hat makes for an interesting focal point in some creative settings.
Thank you!
I will be getting a bit more creative with them in the future.
Thanks.

Nice couple of sets. I think I like the last one in each set. Especially in the first set.

This last one from your first post is quite nice.
The hat is near enough to fill a good amount of frame and be the obvious subject.
The fence makes a nice diagonal compositional element.

The bright sky is almost but thankfully not blown out.
The light creates a nice rim light on the hat crown and edge of the brim.

If I were editing, I'd try to create a glow from that bright sky diagonally toward the hat, colored a warm orange yellow just touching those rim lights onto the hat.
I'd also try to create a couple gradients of darker blue-green coming toward the hat from the upper left corner and lower right corner.

There are many ways to do this and Youtube is our friend. There are probably lots of videos that pertain to whatever editing app you're using.

For general color theory and how to use it, I like watching the videos of Blake Rudis and then adapting what he says to the apps that I use. He's a Photoshop guy but one doesn't need to just use that app.

This last one from your first post is quite nice.
The hat is near enough to fill a good amount of frame and be the obvious subject.
The fence makes a nice diagonal compositional element.

The bright sky is almost but thankfully not blown out.
The light creates a nice rim light on the hat crown and edge of the brim.

If I were editing, I'd try to create a glow from that bright sky diagonally toward the hat, colored a warm orange yellow just touching those rim lights onto the hat.
I'd also try to create a couple gradients of darker blue-green coming toward the hat from the upper left corner and lower right corner.

There are many ways to do this and Youtube is our friend. There are probably lots of videos that pertain to whatever editing app you're using.

For general color theory and how to use it, I like watching the videos of Blake Rudis and then adapting what he says to the apps that I use. He's a Photoshop guy but one doesn't need to just use that app.
Thank you for the compliments and advice!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back