Have ever lost a bunch of photos?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have lost a bunch of photos by silly mistake, and I felt like it is end of the world. However, those photos I lost are not too serious.

Once upon a time, I did not realise the importance of backing up hard drives and lost ALL my photos when my hard drive failed. It was 'only' 2000-odd photos as I had not had my digital camera that long but still very annoying.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

I accidentally deleted 99 images from a vacation once because I was transferring them to CDs and mentally swapped two file number digits. They was nothing major as I already had duplicates of the 'better' images.

I now run with 5 rotating back-up hard drives and one 4tb portable drive, all running backup software automatically. And not just for photo files.

A year or so ago, I developed two rolls of film, from a pretty sweet weekend of fun, in chemicals that were too old (I knew they were old, but thought they'd be ok). Both rolls were blank.

Some time ago I somehow deleted the Raw files of a family session, but I still had my edited jpgs, from which I made my prints. I would still like to recover those Raw files.

I recently lost over 80,000 images; I didn't actually loose the photos, but Lightroom decided to dump them all, approx 8 years work. An enormous job to re-enter.

Restoring from the backup catalog was taking hours so I ended up restoring the entire disk which was much quicker.

The culprit was TimeFreeze, Lightroom does not get along with this software in Windows 10. Take note if you have this configuration.

I have a several issues with Lightroom. I keep getting confused when importing raw files from flash drive to my hard drive. I thought Lightroom copies everything, but it doesn’t . It links to the files, and I get confused where all the files go.

I have a several issues with Lightroom. I keep getting confused when importing raw files from flash drive to my hard drive. I thought Lightroom copies everything, but it doesn’t . It links to the files, and I get confused where all the files go.
Lightroom gives you the option to add files to the catalogue - which leaves the files where they are - or copying the files which moves the files to the designated drive as well as adding them to the catalogue. The options are at the top if the import screen.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk

I've thought I had copied a days worth of shooting Snowy Owls.......I hadn't.
The next day prior to going out I formatted my card as always. Downloaded that evening and was going to work on the previous days shots as well.

Oops, about 1000 images lost. Never made that mistake again.

I lost a whole years worth of my year 2010 photos when moving them to a new drive. Thought everything had moved and deleted them, but alas I missed that folder.

My negatives are safe, so my images are safe. It's an analog thing.

Without a back up you're more likely to loose them over time.

Mice, pet, house fire or just age but I know a smart photographer isn just relying on luck. You have digital back ups right?

Never said I was relying on luck. I said the negatives were safe. And they are, so don't try to drag me into some silly debate about how negatives can't survive without digital. You guys carry on about your catastrophic backup losses. ;) I've never lost a single image, let alone 1K. I'd be twitchy, too, if that happened to my work!

I once deleted many photos during a transfer. After files are deleted they are still on the drive. There are several recovery software programs that will get many if not most of the files/images back but with a ton of other stuff off the drive as well. I recovered many of them with that software but got frustrated trying to sort them out of the mess of files that was recovered. The longer you wait to recover them the more chance there is that the files may be overwritten. I have some stuff is on my SmugMug but this has been a great reminder that I should back up my drives again.

Last edited:
I lost about 1000 Raw images in 2013 when I had my backpack stolen while traveling. I sure those were the best images I ever made.

Most reactions

Back