Have geotagger, need application.

Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So of all the things I find under the tree my girlfriend gives me a geotagger for my camera. Naturally this generated excitement but also confusion. What can I use this for? Works very well I clipped it on my D200 and instantly I got longitude and latitude info on every picture I took, but where to from here.

Some cameras are coming out with these features built in so there's going to be a geotagging explosion happening soon. Does anyone here use geotagging on their pictures? Care to share some applications?

So far I can think of one: Flickr automatically shows a small map when you upload a geotagged photo.
I also know Picasa integrates geotagged pictures somehow.

What else?

hmm.. Well if you burry a treasure and take a picture of the loction you dont have to go through the hassle of drawing a map i guess.:coffee:

There is this huge rage of Geocache games going on...

someone will literally burry something (anything I guess) and the post the cordinates of where this item is and people (sometimes who don't even know the origioanl person) will go out and find this thing based off of coordinates and then take what it is, and leave something else in its place.

I guess its a "I've been here...here...here..." sort of thing....

Now what does that have to do with photography? well somepeople take pics of where it is, and I guess can keep that info...will it boom? perhaps but I don't think its the next great thing, but it might evolve to letting people know where they took that photo...so lets say your in iceland and you take a picture...people could go out and search for that same exact spot you stood and try to take a similar photo...variations on a theme I guess.

I think its cool...if my camera did it, I would consider using it for when I traveled to keep a log of places I've been....

That's exactly the point. We are going to Europe and my girlfriend thought it would be a good idea (true).

The question is does anyone know a great way to get this data out again? It's one thing to have a picture that says S43 45' 11" and quite another to integrate it to say have a picture viewer which shows the picture on one half of the screen and a map on the other. :)

Now your girlfriend needs to get you one of these. Is you birthday coming up soon by chance?:wink:

Gryph, we already got something similar so she has 2 weeks to come up with something else. My birthday is on the 9th :lol:

Guys just found something cool! Lightroom 3 in the Library view under metadata shows the GPS co-ordinates. No surprise there. But when you click on them it opens those co-ordinates on Google maps! Haven't figured out how to sort photos by location yet though.

You can upload the pictures to Panoramio and have them posted in GoogleEarth if you want. If I geotag pics, I use third party software to do it since my pics are not geotagged automatically, but if I sync the camera time to the GPS time, then that software can tag the pics for me.

Garbz, I guess I am kind of lost on this one then, what are you wanting to do with it? Biggest use I could see for it is finding that great out of the way spot again or being able to get the exact same perspective for a shot at different times.

Geo tagging isn't something I have thought about doing. I have used my GPS to get me back to certain spots in the mountains in New Mexico, but when I am there in the back country I want a GPS unit along not a Geo Tagger just in case I need to use it to find my way back.

So of all the things I find under the tree my girlfriend gives me a geotagger for my camera. Naturally this generated excitement but also confusion. What can I use this for? Works very well I clipped it on my D200 and instantly I got longitude and latitude info on every picture I took, but where to from here.

Some cameras are coming out with these features built in so there's going to be a geotagging explosion happening soon. Does anyone here use geotagging on their pictures? Care to share some applications?

So far I can think of one: Flickr automatically shows a small map when you upload a geotagged photo.
I also know Picasa integrates geotagged pictures somehow.

What else?

There's a bunch of free-ware and shareware that allows you to display your photos on Google-earth and create a narrative. I don't have a geo-tagger, but synchronize my photos with a GPS track recorded by a Garmin portable unit. If I've taken a bunch of photos on a particular day and I've moved around a lot (walking, driving, boating, etc.), the synchronized photos allow me to see where I've been and help me identify some landmarks after-the-fact. I've posted kayaking trips and cross-country skiing trips on trail-info sharing sites, together with photos and travelogue. I've also used other postings to get an idea of whether I would want to go somewhere. In some cases, I've used the geo-referenced photos to further explore an area in Googlemaps and determine additional points of interest. I see it as an extension of the EXIF info.

One program that I have used is “Photomapper”, described in some detail here: http://freegeographytools.com/2007/gps-photo-geotagging-i-two-simple-solutions

Another one that I’ve used is “GeoSetter”, described here: http://freegeographytools.com/2007/geosetter-the-best-free-photo-geotagging-app

One trip that I described and photographed is here: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=252593

If you google “Geotagging” + “Photos”, you’ll have a lot of info to look through. Picassa, Flickr, etc. are geo-aware.

i have a hiking type garmin GPS and will use it from time to time... while traveling it's fun to know exactly where a subject was taken from.

I use GPSbable (takes from the garmin GPS and converts to a usable/readable format) and geosetter to set it into the photos...

using picasa it will post pins on a googlemaps map on the side.

Cool thanks pgriz. That first one has come up a few times on google during my search. That's a cool site too.

Most reactions

Back