Have I *!@!!* my filters up?

Lol999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.17minutes.co.uk
Hi all, got to cleaning my gear last night after a couple of days shooting when I managed to get fingerprints on my filters. I get out the cleaning kit someone bought me a while ago and squirt the cleaning solution on and gently wipe in a circular motion with the cleaning cloth. When I look through the filters I can see small cracks or crazing in a circular direction on the filters. Upon examining the cleaning fluid I see it is an alcohol free one for LCD screens, but no mention of lenses etc :blushing: I've checked the filters today and the marks are still there. Qusetion is have I fubared my filters such that they need replacing?

Cheers, Lol

What brand and type of filters? I don't think cracking would be caused by the cleaning fluid.

Hm,, I never heard of someone using anysort of such a cleaning fluid on filters or lenses.

However, a clean cloth and a cleaning fluid for whatever purpose should not produce scratches or cracks. I see two possibilities:

1. there was some sand or other sort of "mineral dust" in the cloth or on the lens which caused the scratches.

2. as this solution was non-alcoholic it just leaves residual traces on the filter. Those could be wiped away with a proper solution. LCD-cleaning liquids ofte leave such traves even on LCDs. that is why I hate them even for cleaning LCDs ;)

I hope your case is number 2 ... then they only need a gentle cleaning with the proper thing ...

Might be residue.

To check, get some lens tissue. Using your breath, 'fog' the filter surface and rub with the lens tissue. Then re-check for streaks.

folks it looks like residue from the cleaning cloth! I tried gently wiping the filters with a clean part of the cloth and the marks remain. Give a gentle fog with the breath, clean suitable cloth and they all disappear! That was a close one!:mrgreen:

Cheers folks, Lol

Give a gentle fog with the breath, clean suitable cloth

That's how I clean all of my lenses and filters. I've tried a number of lens cleaning fluids, and they all were a case of the cure being worse than the affliction. They always left residue that was troublesome to completely remove. My favorite cleaning cloth is white cotton darkroom gloves. I buy them cheap in bags of a dozen pairs, and stick a glove in every camera bag. When I think they might be getting dirty, I toss them out, or use them elsewhere in my home.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back