Have I the right equipment for this

pisto1981

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, this is my 1st post and i've only been doing photography for about a week.

In this picture, i was trying to focus on the tree trunk on the right while also having the tree in the lake in focus. Which i was able to capture. However, i wanted more detail on the lake tree but don't believe my lens is capable?

I have a Nikon d3100 with a 55mm lense.

Also, I have looked at other landscape pictures and believe mine to be pretty boring in comparison.

All advice, good and bad welcome.

Some settings;

f/20
ISO-100
Focal Length 42mm
max Aperture 4.8

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn284/pisto1981/DSC_0500.jpg

Last edited:
''Looks like i'm trying to take the picture that is out of my lens DOF. Thanks again''

Ignore he above statement. Basically, i need to focus between the 2?

Last edited:
First, yours was a very good start at composition for someone new to the issue - and your last comment was on the button.

Now, look up hyperfocal distance and you will understand how to solve your problem.
((and read this Understanding Lens Diffraction )

(I am big into the 'teaching a person to fish' theory of education.:x)

i'm planning on going back to the same site over the next few days to try take the picture that's in my head. I have done alot of reading today and understand things a little more. Great blog Lew, i'll be following as much as possible.

Thanks again for your advice

Some things to keep in mind:

The closer you are to the near object, the more likely you will not be able to focus on both at the same time.

The smaller your aperture is, the greater the DOF, and that lens will go to f/32.

Trying to focus "between the two" may yield acceptable results, or it may not, depending on the actual DOF. Furthermore; the actual "focus" will be on neither, but it just may become acceptable for your purposes.

i'm planning on going back to the same site over the next few days to try take the picture that's in my head. I have done alot of reading today and understand things a little more. Great blog Lew, i'll be following as much as possible.

Thanks again for your advice

Great point.
All of photography is getting to the picture that is in your head and creativity doesn't stop when one presses the shutter button.

Good luck.

Keep at it. You have an excellent attitude!!! In a practical sense, with the 18-55 Nikon kit lens, it's tricky to focus, sinc eit has no depth of field scale, and even worse, NO FOCUSING DISTANCES on any kind of scale!! Aaaaaaaccck!!!!

See Ken's review of the 18-55 VR here for some insight into the lens you have.
Nikon 18-55mm VR

One thing one can do with a lens like this is to consult an on-line depth of field calculator, and get a general feel for how much DOF there is with a lens like the 18-55. For example....when it's focused at longer ranges, like say 15 feet, at the smaller lens openings like f/13, f/16, f/20,f22,f/27,etc...there is AMPLE depth of field. You should probably have been able to bridge the distance between that foreground tree and the background, with the right focus distance placement. Buuuuuut.....with no focusing scale, that can be a bit tricky, and has to sort of be done by estimating a distance needed, using the AF system to focus there, and then locking the focus. OR, just focusing manually at a distance you set "by eye". You can afford to make a few trial exposures any time too...free shots with d-slr!

Thanks for the confidence boost Derrel and from what ive read on the review so far its nice to know that my lense is of good standard

With a D3100 you could try this:

- set the camera to to Aperture Priority (A on the mode dial, top of the camera)
- set the lens to manual focus (switch on the side of the lens)
- set the camera to Live View (lever on the back of the camera)
- zoom in on the live view and scroll around in it, focusing manually, and seeing what's sharp and what's not

A mode lets you set the aperture, which controls depth of field, while the camera calculates the rest of the stuff to match, so the exposure works out right. More or less.

Thanks amolitor. I did a massive read up on the camera yesterday and read the manual again and though that i would try exactly what you have suggested. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back