Have you ever been robbed?

techniker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was wondering if anybody here has been robbed while out shooting, in no particular setting and how you have/plan on dealing with the siuation.

No, but I have known people who have. For them, it was at gunpoint, so they dealt with it by giving up their gear. As for me, i'll just handle it when/if it happens.

Nope, but I carry a rather large pocket knife because while i have been out shooting someone has broken into my car.. Not that I have the kahoonays to stab someone but its a good threat :sexywink: until they pull out a gun and shoot me.... :(

Never been robbed but, that is why I carry insurance. Additionally, I am a legal pistol permit holder who does carry almost everywhere. However, I'm not stating that I would ever pull my fire arm. I would freely hand over all my gear and call the police. It wouldn't be until I felt an iminant threat of personal danger on myself that I would consider pulling my firearm. For me when my gun comes out it is, for lack of a better word, go time.

When I have all if my gear, i usually keep the hard drive i upload all of my photos to and memory cards separate from my camera Bag. It's not common that in take my "negetives" (i think of my memory cards as negetives...) and hard drive out shooting, but if I'm transit it's little extra security.

I have considered my camera a pretty good weapon after hearing about how an old friend fought off an emu with his ae1. I always carry a knife and I would consider my multi tool and keys, pens, etc defense weapons, but probably wouldnt get into a fight with an armed and/ or multiple opponents.

I feel like I can run faster out of fear than someone can run out of greed.

Honestly, it's not worth fighting for. Why risk getting hurt or killed. Ever try to fight someone who is on some hard core drugs (crack). A friend of mine is a Medic in Buffalo who had a bad altercation with a crack head and he almost didn't make it out. I have insurance for $8000 in gear and I pay $180 a year. It's well worth the ease of mind. The hand gun is the very last resort.

There are a few places that I'd love to go shoot... but the neighborhoods (some of the more "cultural" areas of Detroit) are a bit too rough to go alone.

You're more of a target if you're alone. If you're there in a pack/group you'd probably be left alone because a whole group does not make for an easy target.

A fellow i knew in Chicago. He was robbed, then chased down the thief. At the point they came together, the thief was among a few of his buds,
The person I tell about, took a year to die fom his beating..takes all the bravado, out of the chase..Been robbed a few times.Just let them go. call a cop, and if you lucky, your insurance. Ed

Like its been said before, insurance and let them have it definitely not worth it.

To those of you that are carrying knifes....unless you know how to use it, be prepared to have it used against you. Fighting with a knife or any weapon takes ski,l and practice. Most people that try to use a knife, end up cutting/stabbing themselves.

It's all about not making yourself a target. Don't carry around your whole bag and have your 300mm on. One small lens, no battery grip and keep the camera low.

And always be aware of your surroundings.

I usually carry bear spray. If it came down to it, I'd spray and run. The equipment isn't worth my life, but if possible (without any chance of me getting hurt) I'll leave them with a little painful suvenir to take with gear.

I have a gps sewn into my bag it is pay as you go with an up front cost of about 200.00 So I just hope they like my bag and keep it with my gear and call the cops Side note I also have a gps in the stock of every gun My hubby and I own we enjoy hunting and would hate to have or shotgun stolen then used wrongly GPS for the Win I also have ins.

nope. i got so much street cred that no one ****s with me.

I also have one in the bag and I have insurance...if I can get to my car without getting shot or beaten, then I look at a thief as fair game and I really hate thieves.

Us kind and gentle Maine folk don't rob each other... Unless you go to Lewiston/Auburn. That's where dreams go to die... Slowly and in the filthiest way possible.
$image-3718421989.jpg
$image-2945982200.jpg
$image-3543792361.jpg
$image-759865338.jpg

^ I'm not kidding.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back