Have you ever been sued?

Why would a PRO limit themselves to crap equipment that is going to severely limit what they can do to capture the best images?

Ahhh... this is helping me see what's going on... maybe.

Are you taking about technical matters like focus and exposure? I'm trying to imagine the sever limitations of Rebel camera. I'm thinking we're talking about the size and sharpness of the image.

-Pete

Poor High ISO, poor Autofocus, poor FPS, No Weather-sealing, less overall functions (equals less control)

I am 100% certain I saw them using a Canon Rebel XTI with a cheap $5.00 Opteka Softbox diffuser that was drooping like a wet rag, last Christmas taking their Santa’s lap pictures. I was embarrassed for them. The point being, they were taking pictures for paying customers with JUNK equipment.

$1000 for 3 hours? Ok. But I have been an assistant for MANY weddings and have NEVER been in and out of a wedding gig in 3 hours. I have spent 3 hours before the wedding even started.

“PROs are PROs.. and most wannabe's arent”… neither all of the “noobs”, “fauxtographers”, “Facebook Pro’s” and all of the other colorful and condescending names that are so popular these days. But that has nothing to do with it, really. Hell, the case in question really isn’t really about photography at all. It’s about Right and Wrong, Moral and Immoral, Good and Evil. The world is full of unscrupulous people whether they are “professional” business people or some hack selling $200 Rolodex’s on the Broadway. We have to be responsible enough to know who we are dealing with.

Bottom line is, I am in no way defending this “photographer”, from what I see she was amateur at best. But, this was this ladies wedding day. The most important day in most women’s lives… a day that cannot repeat. How much effort did she put into selecting her photographer? Before I purchased my first $600 wide angle lens, I read tons of reviews, visited the camera shop numerous times and chatted with several experienced photographers for weeks before I made the purchase. Did this lady even ask for any references from the photographer that was going to archive the most important day of her life? Even if this photographer was an absolute crook, sometimes we have to accept some of the responsibility for allowing ourselves from being crooked.

I’m done. Over n Out

It doesn't matter if he gets all the good pictures in three hours. If they want him for the whole wedding (9 hours?) it's gonna cost 'em 3k.
He's not obligated to stay there for the entire thing if it's in his contract that he's only going to photograph as long as his rate allows.

Point being, not many people would purchse such a small contract. This was in reference to my comment that $1300 was a low average price for a wedding shoot. And someone gave the $1000 for 3 hour response. Not many would purchase a 3 hour package and $1300 is VERY low for a wedding.

Why would a PRO limit themselves to crap equipment that is going to severely limit what they can do to capture the best images?

Are you taking about technical matters like focus and exposure? I'm trying to imagine the sever limitations of Rebel camera. I'm thinking we're talking about the size and sharpness of the image.

-Pete

Poor High ISO, poor Autofocus, poor FPS, No Weather-sealing, less overall functions (equals less control)

OK. Now I see what's goin' on.

None of these features is of concern to me. I don't use auto-focus, I shoot one frame at a time and I'm not going out in the rain will my gear. Fewer functions means more control for me. I insist that I decide what the camera is doing. My cameras are set on "M"... always.

The Rebel produces a file large enough for 20x24 prints. A "kit" lens is OK... not my choice but doable.

OK. I get it now.

Thanks!

-Pete

-Pete

Then I'm really screwed, my Sinars have no autofocus, maybe 1 fpm, if I'm really quick, absolutely no weather sealing.....dear me, how have I existed these last 30 years shooting with it????

-Pete

Then I'm really screwed, my Sinars have no autofocus, maybe 1 fpm, if I'm really quick, absolutely no weather sealing.....dear me, how have I existed these last 30 years shooting with it????

The difference is that you have knowledge and experience.. and prefer to use that system from choice. Most of the "PRO's" who shoot Rebels (or other entry level equipment) lack knowledge and experience (many of them have had a DLSR/SLR for less than a year.)

Most reactions

Back