Haven't Developed a Neg for 20+ Years..Need Help

jbylake

Dodging the Men in Black
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I used to have a darkroom, not my own, to work in years ago. Not possible now, but I have a question. It's been so long I don't remember what I need to develop neg's. I need advice on a kit that would be strictly for B&W. (I'll get a shop to do the color stuff). I will be using my scanner to convert to digital.

Can anyone recommend a "every thing you need to develop B&W negs" kit?

Thanks,

J.:mrgreen:

Maybe I goofed....what I meant to say is..is there a kit, with eveything required to develop B&W film into negatives, on the market, that anyone knows of?

Thanks,

J.:mrgreen:

I fund this Beseler brand 23-piece kit at Adorama for $99...has the stuff yuo need to develop film AND to make prints....if you added a contact printing frame, you could also make contact prints in yer' bathroom at night time...

6757 Beseler Developing Outfit, A Starter Printing Kit for Cadet II or Printmaker Enlargers.

I suppose the essentials might also include a daylight changing bag, unless you've got a light-tight closet or bathroom where you can make absolutely sure it's totally light proof for the short while that you load the film onto its reel and then get it into the developing tank.

For developer, I like Kodak HC-110. For stop bath, any brand will do, and Adorama sells that. For fixer, any brand will do. Adorama sells that too, on the same page as the kit.

I don't know of any, although I can ask my friend that works at freestyle...

The stuff I mentioned in my link is all available on freestyle's site, it'll all arrive in one box, so it'll be like a kit :D

Maybe I goofed....what I meant to say is..is there a kit, with eveything required to develop B&W film into negatives, on the market, that anyone knows of?

The aforementioned Beseler 6757 Printmaker Darkroom Kit is one of a very few "kits" still on the market. It includes all you need and more.

Another is the less expensive Omega Basic Darkroom Accessory Print & Film Processing Kit #455055.

Both kits include accessories used for printing but not for film processing. Neither includes chemicals.

In general you have to have a tank + reel, chemicals (developer, stop bath, fixer), storage bottles for the chemicals (since most come in quantities too large for one roll) any sort of timer, clips to hold the film while it's drying (although clothes hoooks used for laundry will do) and a changing bag (necessary to get the film from onto the reel and then into the tank). The tank itself is light-tight, so once the film's sealed in, the rest can be done in daylight, so no safelight.

You don't need a thermometer as long as you're working at room temperature and all your chemicals are about the same temperature.

You don't need a thermometer as long as you're working at room temperature and all your chemicals are about the same temperature.

congratulations guys, awesome work.
I look forward to seeing what you do in the next challenge.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back