Having a Camera and a Website

bennielou

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Having a camera and a website does NOT make you a professional photographer. Being PROFESSIONAL makes you a professional photographer.

And that means...knowing how to put your big panties on, and run a business. Not just taking some "snaps" that in your opinion are killer insane. It's not about putting up a "myspace" or even a real to God website of your favorite photos of bands, sunset, flowers, and your besties besties.

Why do I keep going on about this? Am I worried about you? Crazy Jealous? You judge that for yourself. Should I be crazy insane jeaolus?

Or maybe MAYBE I just don't want to see you guys go down the tubes in more way than a million. I could tell you allllllll the many ways your posting your bravado on the interent is going to put you in hock for infinity.

I could for instance, tell you how going into business before you are ready will hurt not only but your clients and open you up to lawsuits.

I could futher state, how when your competitors see you fail, they will take it to eveywhere the internet goes.

Don't. Be. Stupid.

Do it right. All of it. Make the photographic community proud. You need that community to do well. Be respected.

I know two things in life.

If you take shortcuts you will fail. Withou doubt.

If you do things the way they should be done, you at least have a chance.

Hi Daniel,
I guess it came from experience and frustration.

I've been doing photography professionally only 7 years, (sole income), so I'm not like some old foggie. But I am seeing some really dangerous trends going on.

Believe it or not, I'm not going on about this because I'm worried that anyone will take my business away. I am very established.

However, I got my start on this forum. Back then, a person was advised to apprentice.

Now, it you have a shoot and point you bought at Walmart, you are ready to go and shoot everything.

What I want to let people know about is alllllllllll the legal stuff you aren't considering.
I've seen major photogs go out of business because they don't pay taxes. (There is a bounty out there if you didn't already know. It's like the SS. Turn in your competitor and you get off cheap. Did you know that?)

I've seen others go down in lawsuits. Lose a good one and lose everything you own.

Some people go out of business even when they are the best shooters ever? Why? They can't sell?

Soooo, I see all these people jumping in head first, not knowing what the heck they are getting into, and I worry.

^^^^
I think it comes from seeing people such as you who think they are God's gift to photography.

As for the why, to help you realize you are not. But that you could have a career if you were willing to listen.

This got me thinking. I want to be a divorce photographer:)

BennieLou.............

I see what you mean. I understand everything you are saying. While I have been a photographer for 13 years I have been shooting Professionally for less than 3. I know more about running a business than I do shooting photography. I have been self employed for the greater part of the last 4 years and understand the issues that may arise for the uneducated. I do agree that most people should learn how o run a business first. And yes it does irritate me that people with a D40 and 1 kit lens think they can shoot a wedding professionally for $300 and then wonder why the people are pissed that they got crap photos. So all in all.... I agree with you...

Just to throw this out there, seeing as I have been photographing seriously for eight years, do you think it's wrong for someone like me who has finally started getting a paying gig here and there for whatever reason that I shouldn't? From my understanding I have to claim taxes and such if I make a thousand dollars or more, and this past year, I didn't, so I'm safe there. But this year is already turning into a more productive year and I will probably have to pay taxes next year on this years income from my photography. I personally understand that I will be putting 30% of my earnings away in a savings account so tax time doesn't come as a surprise and I should be covered.
I agree that every John or Joan out there with a d40 or P&S camera shouldn't be starting up businesses necessarily but someone like myself, who has suddenly gotten to a point where I am comfortable charging SOMETHING for my services should. Right?
I guess that's what I'm getting at is approached carefully and with some help I've had from a more seasoned professional photographer I think someone in my position has no other option but to just do it. ya know? I might be blabbering, sorry.
And I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong here, I was more just curious as to people's thoughts on this.

Really, it is all how you go about it and your level of professionalism.... Themedicine....you have to start somewhere and it sounds like you have a good starting point. Be patient and when all else fails seek help with the business aspects from reputable sources.

Just to throw this out there, seeing as I have been photographing seriously for eight years, do you think it's wrong for someone like me who has finally started getting a paying gig here and there for whatever reason that I shouldn't? From my understanding I have to claim taxes and such if I make a thousand dollars or more, and this past year, I didn't, so I'm safe there. But this year is already turning into a more productive year and I will probably have to pay taxes next year on this years income from my photography. I personally understand that I will be putting 30% of my earnings away in a savings account so tax time doesn't come as a surprise and I should be covered.
I agree that every John or Joan out there with a d40 or P&S camera shouldn't be starting up businesses necessarily but someone like myself, who has suddenly gotten to a point where I am comfortable charging SOMETHING for my services should. Right?
I guess that's what I'm getting at is approached carefully and with some help I've had from a more seasoned professional photographer I think someone in my position has no other option but to just do it. ya know? I might be blabbering, sorry.
And I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong here, I was more just curious as to people's thoughts on this.

Go for it. IF you have been serious for 8 years then you should know whats what. My point I was trying to make was that those mediocre people usually have inadequate equipment for the job they shoot. I do not care what Kockwell says.. a D40 is not a good camera for some one making money. You need at least a d90 level on up. The diff with you is you have learned and basically apprenticed with some one. That is what you should do. Or go to school.

If I was giving advice, I would at least do some Q.A. on the post to make sure I was coming off the right way ;)

Most reactions

Back