Having your Lightroom Catalog and Photos On and External HD??!

I use a pair of lighting external drives, the faster one has the catalogues and image files and the second one is the back up. They are both 4TB. I had considered running RAID 0 but it was too much cost for unnecessary performance gain. My main client catalogue file is on my SSD because it is around 11,000 images. I used to have a DROBO but it was too slow.

I use a pair of lighting external drives, the faster one has the catalogues and image files and the second one is the back up. They are both 4TB. I had considered running RAID 0 but it was too much cost for unnecessary performance gain. My main client catalogue file is on my SSD because it is around 11,000 images. I used to have a DROBO but it was too slow.

Good to know. I think I'm going to pick up a LaCie external rugged 2tb drive, and just host my images and music on that (so I can keep that data rich stuff off my local hard drive).

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never edit locally. Everything is stored externally.

D-B-J, I have a mbp and I use external HD's for photo storage. I move the photos from my card to my external and work that way.

It is my understanding that with the new LR, you can import the files into the external drive and still work with it unplugged IF you choose a setting for it that will basically keep a better preview of the file on your computer. Then it will sync up when you plug in the external.

Note: I have not tried it but I remember seeing/hearing something along this lines when listening to some of the KelbyOne video's about the newer LR and PS CC stuff.

I never edit locally. Everything is stored externally.

I've only ever worked/stored locally, and I've always had issues with storage as I never have enough space. So now it's time to start anew [emoji5]️[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All my files are on external drives. This makes all of them instantly portable.

I have heard that 5400 rpm are less likely too fail than a 7200.
Make sure your read a lot of reviews (and not just the ones on Amazon) some brands/models have a very high failure rate!

I've had my WD for almost 2 years with no problems. I have two back ups. Just in case one fails.

I have a secondary hard drive in my PC that I use for photos and LR catalogs and then mirrored to my external hard drive for backup. I also have a third hard 2.5" hard drive I use to backup photos a few times a year and place it in a secure location (I'm lazy). Works, for now. Of course, I don't do photography professionally...if I did..then I'd have a much, much fancier setup and use RaidZ and ZFS. Lol. I only have one SSD for OS and Apps. I really need to get a second one for editing photos and videos. But would probably need to get a 512gb SSD at least. $$$$$$$$$.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back