Hawaii first time / lenses?

bhop

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi dudes. I'm going to Hawaii for the first time. (big island and oahu) It's not really a "photo trip", i'm visiting a friend that lives there, but I will be taking lots of photos since it's my first time.

Normally, when I go on touristy trips, I'd take my Leica M6 or M2, with 28/35/50mm lenses, but this time I've decided (I think...) to take my D3s and shoot all digital so I don't have to carry film around and don't have to worry too much about low-light (I want to go inside some ships at pearl harbor).

I usually shoot primes, 28 and 50mm, unless i'm shooting auto racing or "wildlife" (the zoo..lol) in which i'll take my 300mm and/or 70-200, but i'm trying to decide if I want to take my 70-200mm (I have a teleconverter too) to Hawaii as well.

I didn't want to travel too "heavy" since there will be lots of walking around, and the D3s isn't a lightweight body as it is, which is why i'm on the fence about the big zoom, so I figured maybe someone that's been could share their thoughts.

edit: I should add that my photo "style" is probably more snapshot-y/street.. usually

I'm also still thinking about taking one of the Ms and some film.. so hard to decide.. :(

Last edited:
When we went to Maui this summer, I took my kit with me.
For above water shots I used my 70-200mm and my 85mm the most.

We have been to the Big Island several times also. It really depends on what your focus is (no pun intended). For ships and architecture I used my 11-16mm a lot when I was shooting DX. I also shot a lot with my 18-105mm. On the other hand there is plenty I found to shoot with my then 70-300mm.

If you're planning to go to the Arizona Memorial on Oahu, there are pretty good museums there with lots of artifacts and pictures and other stuff showing the whole battle. You might want that camera that you're going to use inside ships to avoid a flash. The memorial itself is plenty bright however because it's outdoors.

You'll need a short and long lens on the Big Island. You have to go to the volcano crater. Also, there's a lava tube that you can go through nearby, forgot the name. A wide angle would be nice. High ISO.

You may consider some video clips to to add to your adventure. I combine those with stills and make a show that I present on my UDHTV with music, credits, titles, and narrations. Loads of fun. I like to tell a story of my vacations.

Good luck.

What lenses do you have, or are you open to buying a new lens? And how much are you willing to carry?
The 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 are a nice pair, but too heavy for me to carry at my age. Instead, I would take the 24-120/4 as my GP lens. The 24-120 seems like it would fit with your shooting style, and no lens changing needed.
A FAST wide would be useful for indoor shooting, maybe a 28 or 24 f/1.8.
That would be a somewhat compact 2-lens kit; 24-120/4 + 24 or 28/1.8

If you are going to shoot surfing, then you need a LONG lens, like a 500. ;)

Try to get the sunrise over Kilauea crater. Go to the volcano observatory, before sunrise, and look east.
Warning, you are at 4,000 feet elevation, and the wind is COLD.

Last edited:
What lenses do you have, or are you open to buying a new lens? And how much are you willing to carry?
The 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 are a nice pair, but too heavy for me to carry at my age. Instead, I would take the 24-120/4 as my GP lens. The 24-120 seems like it would fit with your shooting style, and no lens changing needed.
A FAST wide would be useful for indoor shooting, maybe a 28 or 24 f/1.8.
That would be a somewhat compact 2-lens kit; 24-120/4 + 24 or 28/1.8

If you are going to shoot surfing, then you need a LONG lens, like a 500. ;)

Try to get the sunrise over Kilauea crater. Go to the volcano observatory, before sunrise, and look west.
Warning, you are at 4,000 feet elevation, and the wind is COLD.

No on new lenses, although, I thought about it. Holiday season, plus the trip itself is already pretty pricy. I prefer to mostly shoot with primes anyway, and usually don't shoot professionally, so I haven't felt the urge to spend what a 24-70/2.8 costs. I used to have a dx body and used a 17-55 on it, so the experience with that is what makes me feel like I prefer primes.

I'll be taking the 50 1.8 and 28 1.8 that I mentioned above. (both are plastic so not too heavy) Based on replies so far, i'll probably also be taking the 70-200 f2.8 with 1.4x teleconverter, OR 300mm f4 with same teleconverter in my backpack.. hmm.. zoom would be more practical since it... um..zooms, but with the tele, the 300 has some good reach. Most of my other lenses are older ai/non-ai for my film Nikons. I have a 24mm f2.8d that could be useful, it's small, but I figured 28 isn't a huge difference and it's faster and has weather sealing, and doesn't vignette as much as that 24 does.

I also have my fuji x100t for 35mm focal length (equivalent), since it's small and light, it's not an extra hassle.

My friend wants to go the observatory, but we're thinking sunset instead of sunrise. We'll see how it goes I guess, neither of us are "morning people".

Thanks all for the tips so far.

What are you planning to take pix of with a 300 + 1.4x TC? To me, traveling with a 300 is too much bulk, unless you have a specific need for it. IMHO, the jump from 50 to 300mm is way too big.
To me, the 70-200/2.8 fits better with your 28 and 50.

correction: from the volcano observatory, you have to look EAST, across the crater for the sunrise.
The sun will set on the other side of Mauna Loa, so no sunset over the crater.

If you plan to shoot the lava entering the sea at sunset, BRING A FLASHLIGHT, and good shoes. Walking on black lava at night with no light, is an accident waiting to happen. And bring water, so you don't dehydrate in the heat, as you wait for the sun to go down.
SAFETY: Despite what others may do, I highly recommend that you do NOT go beyond where the park rangers set as a safe zone. What you don't know, can kill you; the roof of the lava tube has collapsed into the lava, and the shelf has collapsed into the ocean.

Where on the Big Island are you staying?

Sunsets over the ocean are nice.
Bracket to underexposure, to get a richer sunset

What are you planning to take pix of with a 300 + 1.4x TC? To me, traveling with a 300 is too much bulk, unless you have a specific need for it. IMHO, the jump from 50 to 300mm is way too big.

correction: from the volcano observatory, you have to look EAST, across the crater for the sunrise.

If you plan to shoot the lava entering the sea at sunset, BRING A FLASHLIGHT, and good shoes. Walking on black lava at night with no light, is an accident waiting to happen. And bring water, so you don't dehydrate in the heat, as you wait for the sun to go down.
SAFETY: Despite what others may do, I highly recommend that you do NOT go beyond where the park rangers set as a safe zone. What you don't know, can kill you; the roof of the lava tube has collapsed into the lava, and the shelf has collapsed into the ocean.

300mm.. Somebody mentioned surfing, (wasn't that you?) so something like that. With the teleconverter, that's 420mm. I also use it for other things that aren't super far away, but I want to fill the frame with too, flowers, animals, etc. But yeah, I actually agree about the 70-200. (btw, the 300f4 is around the same size/weight as the 70-200)

Thanks for the tips, we're staying in kailua kona I believe.

Last edited:

300mm.. Somebody mentioned surfing, (wasn't that you?) so something like that. With the teleconverter, that's 420mm. I also use it for other things that aren't super far away, but I want to fill the frame with too, flowers, animals, etc. But yeah, I actually agree about the 70-200. (btw, the 300f4 is around the same size/weight as the 70-200)

Thanks for the tips, we're staying in kailua kona I believe.

That's why I got the f/4 version of the 70-200 lens, half the weight of the f/2.8 lens.

Notes on places:
  • Kona coffee farms are south of Kona. I do not know if any of the farms/co-ops have a store. I understand that most Kona coffee that is sold are blends, to reduce the price to what people will pay.
  • Dinner at the Volcano House, with a view of the crater at sunset is nice. We usually stay at the Volcano House when we go to the Big Island. At 4,000 ft elevation, it gets cold at night, so bring a jacket and long pants. About 1-1/2 hour drive from Kona.
    https://www.hawaiivolcanohouse.com/dining/
    • Go early so you have time to check out the Volcano NP visitor center and the nearby shop.
  • Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut Farm is south of Hilo, and you can watch them process the nuts. The plant does not run on the weekend. They are between Volcano and Hilo.
    https://www.maunaloa.com/visitor/
  • If you are into flowers, there are several orchid nurseries in/near Hilo :) About 2 hour drive from Kona.
    • If you want to bring orchids home to Calif, you need to work with the nurseries, as Calif has strict agriculture import regs. Your baggage will be checked by US Dept of Agriculture on departure from Hawaii. Why they don't do that in reverse, when you enter Hawaii, is a mystery to me. The nurseries will probably ship to your home, avoiding the logistics of transport.
N-Joy Hawaii
Aloha

AC12: Taking flowers to Hawaii is like taking coals to Newcastle.

he he.
Actually it should apply to fruits and plants (especially invasive plants), and animals.
The problem is, what is a nice house container plant/flower, in the wild can get out of control and choke out native plants. And you then have an invasive plant which is difficult and expensive to control (or try to control).

So, funny story, I have been wanting to go to Oahu for quite some time. I would love to go see the memorials, but we go to the Big Island or Maui for the diving.

This morning I got an email form a company I teach for asking if I want to teach a class in Honolulu. I am not sure when I am going yet, but the obvious answer was YES. I will have minimal time for playing tourist, but I will have my D850, 24-70mm, 70-200mm as they are the go-to lenses. The 50mm and 85mm are small and light. I may spring for a UWA zoom before the trip also. In reality all of this easily fits in my camera bag along with my other electrons for teaching. For me it is a no brainer.

Some places to go to on Oahu:
  • Bishop Museum
  • Iolani Palace
    • The only palace on US soil.
    • This was the fictional HQ for the original Hawaii Five-O TV series from the 1970s.
  • Pearl Harbor; memorials (USS Arizona, USS Utah), USS Bowfin and USS Missouri
  • Top of Waikiki revolving restaurant (Hawaii Restaurant, Dinner -) for the elevated view dining.
  • Ala Moana Hotel. Signature Prime Steak & Seafood restaurant (Dining - Ala Moana Hotel) for the elevated view dining.
Stuff to shoot on Oahu:
  • Diamond Head
  • Waikiki Beach

It's my understanding the Arizona Memorial is closed indefinitely while they fix something on it. (believe it may have been cracks in the foundation or something along those lines) Might want to look into it before you possibly waste a trip/time spent in traffic/construction along Kamehameha Hwy. (Actually, I just looked it up, you can still get a boat ride around/to it, but I think that's it.)

Additional great view points to take photos:
Koko Head
Roundtop Dr/Circle/Tantalus lookout.
Pillbox Hike

While on Oahu, just give yourself time to get to where you are going if driving. Traffic isn't great and downright horrible at certain times of the day.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back