Haze in Pictures

EnchantedMemories

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$IMG_4398.jpg$IMG_4447.jpgOkay.. So, I am fairly new to the photography world. I have only had my camera for a little over a year, and I just shot my first wedding this past weekend. When I imported all of my pictures into lightroom, I noticed that all of the ones that were taken at the beach have this haze/glow on them. It helps for me to up my contrast, but doesnt completely fix it. I also tried the auto contrast in Photoshop cs5, but it was too much and the glow is still there. Any help to remove this would be greatly appreciated. I am totally freaking out.

Last edited:
can you post an example? It is most likely due to the lighting, some people (me included) love hazy photos!

Post examples please unless you want us to take wild guesses.

Just a wild guess, using a lens filter without hood in a Sunny day?

I love the hazy look to... just not on all of them. any help would be great. :)

It looks from both of those photos that the sun was at an oblique angle to the front element so you may have some flare issues, always use a lens shade.

Also, from someone who lives a scant 15 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico and does a lot of model swimsuit photography at the beach, check the front element of your lens for a very thin film from the salt in the air. I always shoot with a UV on the front of my lenses at the beach, not only to protect the front element from blowng sand but also from getting coated with that salt film. If you just breathe on the lens and try to wipe it off, you will just make it worse, take lens cleaner with you!

That makes a lot of sense. The haze gets worse as the pictures go on. I was using a UV filter, but I think it presented a problem without the hood. This may sound totally amateur, but when i used the hood, I noticed a lot of vignetting in the pictures. Of course now if i had to choose, Of course i would choose the latter. Do you have any suggestions as to what will fix this?

EnchantedMemories said:
That makes a lot of sense. The haze gets worse as the pictures go on. I was using a UV filter, but I think it presented a problem without the hood. This may sound totally amateur, but when i used the hood, I noticed a lot of vignetting in the pictures. Of course now if i had to choose, Of course i would choose the latter. Do you have any suggestions as to what will fix this?

What lens are you using? I would think that the only way you'd get a vignette from a hood is with a wide angle lens...maybe.

EnchantedMemories said:
just an 18-55

That's why you have a vignette. Do you get a vignette at every focal length or just the wider end like 18mm?

This sounds crazy, but mostly wider end, but also at the extreme opposite

Nice pics.

FYI - Polarizor really helps me near the water here in Tampa. Blue skies, less white haze in the pics. Helps with glare on car/motorcycle paint too, although I've found it isn't effective on any metal or chrome.

If you replace that kits lens with 24-70 you'll notice less flare, faster focusing, and less vignetting. I noticed that immediately when I made the swap.

UV filters reduce contrast, promote lens flare, and if broken the sharp broken shards of thin UV filter glass often gouge/scratch the front lens element. UV filters cause more problems than they solve.

Using a lens hood designed specifically for the lens - increases contrast, minimizes lens flare, and offers a large measure of impact protection to the front lens element.

In short, it is a best practice to use a lens hood.

If you don't use a hood your are robbing contrast from your shots, was the hood fitted correctly when you got vignetting if it is a petel hood it could be fitted wrong

Most reactions

Back