Hazy pictures on Olympus XA

Mark_Brubeck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi!

First time poster, and pretty new to film.

I've been experimenting with my Olympus XA. I'm loving it and many shots come out great. Sometimes though, I get pretty hazy images, around the highlights.

I'm wondering whether I am overexposing the shots. I know the XA meter has a tendency to do this.

I might also just be framing wrong. Though the shots were taken away from the sun, which was low on an overcast evening.

I would appreciate any advice!
imgclean185-positive1.jpg

imgclean186-positive1.jpg

Do you see any haze inside the lens? Look both from front and back. Any signs of cleaning marks on the lens? Fungus spots? These are usually the main culprits.

Hi!

First time poster, and pretty new to film.

I've been experimenting with my Olympus XA. I'm loving it and many shots come out great. Sometimes though, I get pretty hazy images, around the highlights.

I'm wondering whether I am overexposing the shots. I know the XA meter has a tendency to do this.

I might also just be framing wrong. Though the shots were taken away from the sun, which was low on an overcast evening.

I would appreciate any advice!
View attachment 257730
View attachment 257731
Anytime you're shooting into the light, your lens should be entirely shaded. I don't believe you can fit a hood on that camera, so try shading the lens with your hand, a hat, or anything to block the light. Make sure to keep it out of the frame. Make sure the lens is clean - if there's haze inside the lens, it probably will not be worth the cost of repair. Good luck, and let us know if this helps.

Anytime you're shooting into the light, your lens should be entirely shaded. I don't believe you can fit a hood on that camera, so try shading the lens with your hand, a hat, or anything to block the light. Make sure to keep it out of the frame. Make sure the lens is clean - if there's haze inside the lens, it probably will not be worth the cost of repair. Good luck, and let us know if this helps.
That might be the issue. I will definitely try this, thanks!

Also, wouldnt fungus/haze inside the lens also show up in other pictures? Often they come out without any of that "hazyness".

img024-positive-2.jpg
imgclean164-positive1.jpg

Also, wouldn't fungus/haze inside the lens also show up in other pictures? Often they come out without any of that "haziness".
Depends on how bad it is - the quality of the light and the subjects reflectivity also play a roll.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back