HCB

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
An article that I found about him from another forum.
Please move it, if this is not the appropriate section.

Cheers!

Good article if a little too praiseworthy, I found it amusing that it gave his drawings and paintings precedence though as they've always been regarded by the critics as uninspired and boring. He was such a bastard in that he never wanted to be a photographer but a painter/drawer. I saw a doco on him just a few years ago prior to his death where he was in the publishing house and some guy had one of his photo's up on a computer screen and Cartier-Bresson puts his finger on the monitor touching the picture and says "make that window black" so the guy blacks it out for him. I thought that was hilarious as he used to always talk about no dodging an burning and taking photos good enough that the negatives print themseves and the decisive moment then he totally contradicts it with one tiny action. One of the greatest photographers ever to live though.

He took some good pictures and I like his work but like a lot of 'Greats' what they actually do is never the same as what they say they do.
I once wrote an article on why 'the decisive moment' was a fallacy. I still stand by it. I much prefer Les Krims' 'indecisive moments' - there are more of them ;-)

Actually I think I might re-publish my monograph - it might stir up some debate in here.....

Lol, indecisive moments.
But Ithink he was a great photographer, I just love his pictures.
He had a way of getting people and moods thats is just uncanny.I cant help thinking that there was a decisive moment, just there , when I see his photographs.
The kid with the wine or the family by the river are beautifully captured.

I am about to watch Click, i think thats the documentary about HCB.Cant wait.

Hertz van Rental said:
Actually I think I might re-publish my monograph - it might stir up some debate in here.....
Lets have it! :)

Most reactions

Back