HDR Bracket (3 raw photos attached)

gunnyz39

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was hoping, if anyone has some free time. I want to see how some of you edit and post process photos for hdr. I took these -2.0, 0 , 2.0 I batched in photo matix and my image came out ok but i just could never get the picture to POP with good cloud views. Any help would be appreciated.

Dropbox - RAW Files - Simplify your life

that link should work

Nice shot. The kind of country I like to shoot.

255rsq0.jpg

The problem is, You didn't need HDR to capture that scene, The dynamic range /contrast ratio of the combined 32 bit file is only 149:1 You could have got that in a single exposure. Nice scene though

The problem is, You didn't need HDR to capture that scene, The dynamic range /contrast ratio of the combined 32 bit file is only 149:1 You could have got that in a single exposure. Nice scene though

You're right. Here's one where all editing is done in adobe camera raw. I used the middle exposure for this.

scaled.php

And I much prefer this over my tonemapped version, which I sort of hate.

Nice scene. Yes, it merged and mapped very smoothly.
Regards, Murray

DSC_0012-HDR_LoRes.jpg

Honestly the scene is very flat in all edits. It's more the original photo and less the fault of the editing.

Also, one RAW file here had sufficient dynamic range to capture the full scene.

Some of these edits have some cloud ghosting as a bi-product of photomatix. I used it, I de-ghosted (because I always de-ghost foliage/clouds) but probably a similar result could be extracted from one of the raw files, as Compaq has demonstrated.

Bozo alert!! Ignore this comment.

He's not too far off base Bynx, at least with this particular set of RAW files.

I react too quickly when someone comes into the HDR forum and says not to do the shot with HDR. In this case he is right as you noted. I was in the process of working on the files properly instead of the hasty slipshod method I used earlier just to prove him wrong. However, the middle shot was actually better than my HDR process of the 3 shots. But I still believe that an HDR composite will be better than any of the three individual shots.

rkorih.jpg

Last edited:
One thing I noticed in this picture is that the textures in the old ruin and the textures in the background, are "too alike". Of course, this is personal opinion. The only things that really stand out here are the tree and the sky, the rest is much the same. This is really emphasized by the ruin not going above the horizon, which is due to the OPs perspective and the topography. Just my own observations and opinions.

Beautiful landscape, though imo, the capture probably could have been better.

You just don't like me that's fine. If you think I am coming in as someone oppsoed to HDR, YOU're just wrong. I use it very often when nessesary.
But you kjust don't like me...soooo you wouldn't really listen to anything.
Check the Middle Exposre Histogram
Check the 32 bit Histogram in Photomatix...If you know how.
It willtel what needs to be known.

Have a super day

Most reactions

New Topics

Back