HDR- first attempts (C&C)

GreggS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.blue-line-photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi- I recently tried my first attempts at HDR photos. I'm looking for feedback on the techniques I used in the photos below. Any tips on +/-ev amounts on shooting HDR is welcome, as some of my attempts are over-exposed in some places. Thanks.

PS- the color version of the covered bridge has obviously been altered to have a 'vintage' feel...also my first attempt at doing so, so if you have any C&C on that as well that would be helpful

1. HDR pasture
SkyandPastureHDRWM.jpg

2. HDR stone road, 11:6 ratio
StoneRoadHDR1200x655WM.jpg

3. HDR color/vintage covered bridge
CoveredBridgeVintageHDRWM.jpg

4. HDR b&w covered bridge
CoveredBridgeBWHDRWM.jpg

The first 2 landscape scenes do not have a high dynamic range. I would venture that neither scene exceeded the dynamic range of the image sensor in your camera. HDR is for when the image sensor dynamic range limits what can be captured with a single exposure..

The covered bridge turned out 'muddy', and has a decided green color cast.

Meter the brightest and darkest portions of a scene to determine the total EV range you need and the steps needed between each exposure.

You might mention what software you are using.

GreggS, would you be willing to post up the raw's for the bridge and let some of the magicians here have a go with it? I'd like to see what they can do with it.

GreggS, would you be willing to post up the raw's for the bridge and let some of the magicians here have a go with it? I'd like to see what they can do with it.

I no long have the RAW versions if that's what you mean. I do have the JPGs though. I hope that works.

$IMG_3241.jpg$IMG_3242.jpg$IMG_3243.jpg$IMG_3244.jpg$IMG_3245.jpg

Here is my shot at it. Better?

I know there is a bit of halo going on above the roof line, bit couldnt get them out of the shots provided.

View attachment 11048

Very nice! What software did you use? I use CS5, which has the HDR Merge function...which I assume is the correct method? I just can't seem to bring out those contrasting, bold colors when doing HDRs. Any processing tips?

Bynx's edit is how I envisioned it. Why don't you have the RAW files anymore? Never delete the RAWs.

What I like about your images is the perspectives. You aren't scared to get on the ground. You have a good eye for composition. All you need is processing experience.

Bynx's edit is how I envisioned it. Why don't you have the RAW files anymore? Never delete the RAWs.

What I like about your images is the perspectives. You aren't scared to get on the ground. You have a good eye for composition. All you need is processing experience.

Thanks, Trever1t. Yes...my processing is hit or miss at this point. Hopefully the majority of my work on my site isn't completely sub-par.

Dont ever get rid of Raw files. They are the substance of your pics. Software will come out which will use the stuff in Raw files even more than they do now. I used Photomatix and Photoshop.

348k708.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my shot at it. Better?

I know there is a bit of halo going on above the roof line, bit couldnt get them out of the shots provided.

View attachment 11048

Very nice! What software did you use? I use CS5, which has the HDR Merge function...which I assume is the correct method? I just can't seem to bring out those contrasting, bold colors when doing HDRs. Any processing tips?

Even with CS5 (as with most other programs) tweaking is necessary ; i.e. contrast seems to be one of those issues. Probably due to the huge amount of compression that takes place with all that merging of files.

For most ( imho )CS5 is not the method favored, other plug ins or stand alone programs do a better job.

OK...here's my own attempt...Version 2.0 if you will. C&C welcome. I used Photoshop CS5, as that's all I have right now. Hopefully this suits some folk's taste a little more...

1. (version 2.0)
CoveredBridgeHDR20.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back