HDR?? Have no clue what I'm doing

JenLavazza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jenlavazza.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, it's rainy and dark so I didn't get a chance to go outside and get pictures to play with :( The bathroom is the brightest room in the house so I took pictures there! Does this look like HDR?? I can tell it looks different than normal, but not sure....

3831160795_0840034280_b.jpg

No, it doesn't.

For HDR to really pop you need differences in tone. Highs and Lows that normally wouldn't be captured in just one image.

Re-reading that it sounds harsh. With HDR you need to use multiple images to capture highlight and shadow detail that one image could not present on it's own. There aren't enough shadows and variations in tone to make that image "look like" HDR. It could be a tone mapped image of several different exposures, but there just isn't enough to convey that stark difference in highlight and shadow.

Something like this
NNeedleRetouch.jpg

presents both highs (The Space Needle and various lights) and lows (the trees and shadows on the granite) when normally the sensor in the camera could have only displayed one or the other.

Okay....so, I just looked out the window and saw the storm has passed and we're getting a little sunset! Some good "shadows and variations" Is this better? I do see alot of noise in the sky I'll have to check what my ISO was on. I'm not sure how to clean that up in PS. I took this standing on the bed of my pickup truck so the tripod could see over the corn....yes, I'm a hillbilly! :greenpbl:

3831432387_1f271486a8_b.jpg

^^^ that looks more "HDRish". In general, my opinion is to not do HDRs unless you have a situation where shadows or highlights would be lost with a normal exposure. If you're curious, I can post a couple examples.

Yeah, I see what you are saying....the first one there really was no need to HDR it like the second shot.

I'd love to see some! I'm hoping to go out tomorrow night and actually get some neat ones. This was a real fast shot trying to scramble to beat the sunset.

Ok, cool.

This is the one I always toss out as an example of what I think a 'perfect HDR' is... because it doesn't look wonky at all, it just pretty much looks like what the human eye sees in these situations. (or at least reasonably close)

onealewifehdr.jpg

This is one of a set of three I did for a residential real estate property recently (a very handy use for HDR because houses have lots of windows and the outside always gets washed out horribly... plus people really dig the more natural lighting thing)

Lot%2021%20Acton%20Ma%20-%20068%20-%20TrueSight.jpg

Actually the color space is off on that one, so it's a LITTLE off colorwise, but it's close. I need to fix that.

Finally, this most recent one I took in a library that had an insane range of light and tones, including the overhead glass that was exposed to the sky (so very bright).

Salem%20Courthouse%20and%20Library%20-%20019%20TrueSight.jpg

Ok, I'll stop now.

****, I just remembered I was going to try to do one of these for Jon and forgot.

You know, I really think I am becoming kind of the local HDR slut. Which is odd.

:lol:

manaheim, how in Halliburton did you get those people in an HDR without ghosting? *scratches head* Masking? o_O

Wow... Manheim be real good...

Those are some impressive shots.

WOW! Those are really good! Did you use Photomatix?

Yes, I did. And thanks! :)

manaheim, how in Halliburton did you get those people in an HDR without ghosting? *scratches head* Masking? o_O

I nailed them to their desks. :)

Actually, I just banked on them not moving much in the 30 seconds it took to get the exposures, and it worked out well.

Wow... Manheim be real good...

Those are some impressive shots.

hehe, thanks.

I nailed them to their desks. :)

Actually, I just banked on them not moving much in the 30 seconds it took to get the exposures, and it worked out well.

You can also bring stationary objects into the scene by layering one of the original exposures in and masking moving objects in from one of the originals. It can be tricky, but it works, and you have generally 3 exposures to draw from, which means one might be close to the mark exposure-wise.

Most reactions

Back