HDR How common?

dmdoesarch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I'm new here, but I've been browsing a little. I notice there are many who come to the HDR section to share and comment on HDR techniques.

It seems like HDR is rapidly growing in popularity. So my questions is, do you think HDR will become commonplace in the near future? Will most photographers be proficient at implementing HDR techniques?

yes and no. Some photographers love it, and others dont. I think its a great tool, but alot of people misuse it, just to get the "hdr" look.

I think it is fairly common. I think it is commonplace, and will have a permanent place in photography since similar techniques were used with film.

And the best HDR are the photos you can't tell are HDR.

i agree that it definitely will have a permanent place in photography.

It seems like there are more tools being developed for HDR, so I assume it will catch on more as these tools are developed and it becomes easier for people to do.

Should HDR look like as it is not HDR?
Sometimes i like that surreal or cartoonish look, i know what HDR should be used for, but sometimes some photos doesn't need to use HDR to enhance it, i have many shots that are nice and can be improved or enhanced with photoshop without HDR technique, but i use HDR just to have that look, i always try to get the shot right on camera even on those cases with contrast between shadow and highlights, i use filters to minimize that issue, but seems many here want to use HDR without showing that fake look or so.

Sometimes i like that surreal or cartoonish look, i know what HDR should be used for, but sometimes some photos doesn't need to use HDR to enhance it, i have many shots that are nice and can be improved or enhanced with photoshop without HDR technique, but i use HDR just to have that look, i always try to get the shot right on camera even on those cases with contrast between shadow and highlights, i use filters to minimize that issue, but seems many here want to use HDR without showing that fake look or so.

I think the "cartoonish" look is a fad, and soon people will get bored with the overdone photo's. If you can have the right balance between shadow and highlights (hard to accomplish in some scenarios), then why use it?

As far as the "fake" look go, yeah..I feel many people are misusing HDR without even knowing what it's really all about.

I think the "cartoonish" look is a fad, and soon people will get bored with the overdone photo's. If you can have the right balance between shadow and highlights (hard to accomplish in some scenarios), then why use it?

As far as the "fake" look go, yeah..I feel many people are misusing HDR without even knowing what it's really all about.

And that is my point, i can tell if some photos are done with HDR easily because many don't know how to use it for purpose, and the worse is that if i do enhance or post processing a shot in terms of DR and shadows and details with photoshop only without any multiple exposure or use HDR option or software some asking me: "Is this HDR?", so is HDR shots only should be proper correct exposure and can't get it without HDR technique? I do use HDR just to show that cartoonish or fake look, but if i really want to have a great shot with HDR then i should know which shot that i can do HDR on it without overdone and how i do it, also what areas of the shot you need HDR for, if the HDR can be better than the original even it is a bit overdone then fine, but if the original is better and look natural and can be corrected without HDR then avoid to use HDR, my best HDR shots in fact are coming from well done shots OOC, i tried to apply HDR on wrong or not done properly shots and i didn't get anything great or top notch.

Which one do you prefer?

1ds36635.jpg

ds366351.jpg

And
1ds36650.jpg

ds366501.jpg

yes and no. Some photographers love it, and others dont. I think its a great tool, but alot of people misuse it, just to get the "hdr" look.

If that is the look they are going for, how is that "misusing" it?????

Most reactions

Back