HDR in CS3

I

Iron Flatline

Hi all.

I just got CS3, and have been playing with HDR. After I combine a number images using the HDR Merge, I save it as a .psd. But then I find that I cannot work with it the way I'm used to. For instance, CS3 won't allow me to add a Curves or a Contrast layer. It won't even allow me to duplicate the layer.

What should I be doing, what am I doing wrong?

IMO, use photomatix instead. The results are just as consistent when done right, and look better to me and if you work it as a TIFF, than you can bring it into photoshop and work on it as you normally would, and you have a huge amount of data to work with.

Meh, I'm not convinced HDR has much to do with my style of shooting. I don't think it warrants buying another piece of software, but I gather they have a free trial... I'll give it a test-drive.

that they do have a trial, it's real easy to use.

I think that's beside the point really. Photoshop CS3 and photomatix can get pretty much identical shots in many instances. (Note PS CS2 sucks for this).

Photoshop can't do many things on a 32bit image. Lots of plugins and even many photoshop tools weren't designed for this bitdepth and are disabled. You need to do the tonemapping from HDR as the first step by converting the image to either 16 or 8 bits before many of the usual tools become operational again.

You need to do the tonemapping from HDR as the first step by converting the image to either 16 or 8 bits before many of the usual tools become operational again.

^... that should solve your problem ;)

Ah yes, I've been working in 32-bit depth - thinking HDR would really want and need that. Oh well.

Well it's kind of hard to see the point of using the curves tool if you have an image where the full dynamic range can't actually be properly displayed on your screen. It will make a lot of sense when high dynamic range displays come out, but until then the HDR pictures still require reducing the tonal range as their first step.

Got it. To be candid, Curves is usually the first place I go, so I wanted to see what happens. I realized I was unable to activate it. I also had dirt on the sensor, which layered thrice across three f/11 exposures made for some seriously dark spots... but I couldn't even copy a layer - my usual technique. I create a layer which I use dodging and burning as well as spotting, should any of it be required.

Most reactions

Back