HDR Newbie...

Steve5D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm just starting to try to wrap my head around the whole HDR thing; not sure I'm getting it, but it's fun, anyway.

Took this shot of one of my guitars out on the pool deck last night:

7322067940_86ec6c420d_c.jpg

Looks like a relaxing place to jam!
I like how you didn't over process it... I see too many people that will make their pictures almost ridiculous looking. :)
I wish I could say more, but I have yet to wrap my head around the half of it.
but I do agree.. it IS so so fun.

This processing I like :thumbsup:

What do you normally play?

I honestly don't play much anymore. I used to play that 70's no-nukes-acoustic-folk-rock-crap. :lol:

Thanks for the comments on the picture "not overprocessed" is the phrase I was hoping to see. A buddy of mine (the guy who got me into shooting HDR) shoot everything in HDR, and his stuff is heavily processed...

Looks great to me, that's the kind of HDR processing I like

For a newbie you have done well. Id like to see the middle shot to see exactly how well you did. Sometimes its hard to appreciate how good an HDR image is until you see how bad the shots that made it are. The highlights on the lamp and the guitar are great. The one beam of light is overblown but no big deal. Cudos Steve.

For a newbie you have done well. Id like to see the middle shot to see exactly how well you did. Sometimes its hard to appreciate how good an HDR image is until you see how bad the shots that made it are. The highlights on the lamp and the guitar are great. The one beam of light is overblown but no big deal. Cudos Steve.

Thanks.

Here 'tis. All I did was resize it:

7324513640_0de2074f1a_c.jpg

Your processing has really pulled out a lot of details. I really like the lamp, as well as the guitar and fence. It all came together on this shot. If this is the middle shot I can see details in the sunbean on the sofa cushion. I wonder why its blown out on the final. A darker image would have even more details offset by the overexposed image. What I first thought was a sheen on the guitar I see now is just the finish worn off. Im not a guitar person obviously.

Your processing has really pulled out a lot of details. I really like the lamp, as well as the guitar and fence. It all came together on this shot. If this is the middle shot I can see details in the sunbean on the sofa cushion. I wonder why its blown out on the final. A darker image would have even more details offset by the overexposed image. What I first thought was a sheen on the guitar I see now is just the finish worn off. Im not a guitar person obviously.

I wish I could answer your question, but I'm just starting to try to understand this stuff.

Thanks for the comments, though!

Perhaps adjusting the white point in photomatix would bring some detail back in the sunbeam.

Random question. Steel string gutiar? Looks like it. :)

A couple weeks ago I cam across an amazing post by a Junkie user. It was a fantastic overview of HDR and all that jazz. I have tried to find it a few times but can't locate it. The user does all HDR and his avatar is of him holding a camera. I'm kinda new to this site, which is probably why I can't relocate the post. I think he just posted some shots of his trip to Oregon a couple days ago. Find the post....and there is good info on HDR. It got me looking into it.

Hi, Steve. I, too, like how this is not overcooked. I think you might have improved this shot by including less "stuff". For instance; How about a shot with just the guitar, sofa cushions, fence, and the lamp? I like how the lamp ties together with the colors and textures of the sofa. Good decorating! And good photography!

Thanks!

I just set the guitar up on the couch on the deck so I'd have something to aim my camera at. As I'm just starting to get my feet wet with this stuff, I wasn't too concerned about background...

Most reactions

Back