HDR Night Photos

Sleepy_Sentry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.esgameservers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to photography and would like some feedback on some night photographs I took. Using Photomatix and my Canon Powershot S3 IS I created the following HDR images. The ones I like best are shown first.

1.An old power plant. I think I could have made it a bit brighter.

1941843118_779527d8a8.jpg

2. I don't know what this thing is called.

1941020673_b7780c68d3.jpg

3. Oncoming traffic. I used a long shutter speed but didn't have a tripod.
1941019263_deb5fbafd9.jpg

4. Sky over football stadium.

1941012905_18f41be99f.jpg

5. More traffic.
1941847732_5e6662d85d.jpg

6. This photo would be great if it didn't have the grain and blur.
1941857100_ce88fd0d69.jpg

Any and all feedback is strongly appreciated.

I'm confused. It's not really possible to make HDR images with moving subjects. I'm also a little confused as to how you even got multiple exposures of these...perhaps HDR highlights, but reciprocity failure would prevent HDR from enhancing shadow detail at night.

I'm confused. It's not really possible to make HDR images with moving subjects. I'm also a little confused as to how you even got multiple exposures of these...perhaps HDR highlights, but reciprocity failure would prevent HDR from enhancing shadow detail at night.

A lot of people make HDRs by creating two copies of one original image, and using RAW editing software to amp up the exposure on one and turn it way down on the other. BAM! Three pictures of the same thing (in motion or otherwise), all at different exposures.

I guess you're right in that the images aren't "true HDR". Photomatix allows you to make HDRs with a single JPEG image file. Once I get a tripod, I plan to make HDRs the right way by taking several photos.

And as Polymath said, you can also change the exposure and make an HDR file with three pictures out of one.

You can make an HDR out of a single jpeg, single RAW file or multiple shots. The multiple shots method is much more effective and the HDR image will turn out MUCH better. The reason why your pics are so grainy is because they where made from a single jpeg. If your camera can shoot in RAW try doing that next time and making 3 images by adjusting the exposure in an editing program. They will turn out much better and less grainy. Then when you get a tripod try taking 3 different pictures with different exposures and you will see a huge difference in the final HDR. By the way I like the first image best.

A lot of people make HDRs by creating two copies of one original image, and using RAW editing software to amp up the exposure on one and turn it way down on the other. BAM! Three pictures of the same thing (in motion or otherwise), all at different exposures.

Discussions of single-image HDR come up around here every once in a while. I don't care what anyone says, by definition there is absolutely no such thing. Every photograph has a discrete exposure range that is inherently incapable of being extended via processing.

Thanks for the feedback Deadeye. Does anyone else have critique to offer? I hate to say it, but I was kind of expecting feedback on my photos and not an arguement over what true HDR is.

I guess you're right in that the images aren't "true HDR". Photomatix allows you to make HDRs with a single JPEG image file. Once I get a tripod, I plan to make HDRs the right way by taking several photos.

And as Polymath said, you can also change the exposure and make an HDR file with three pictures out of one.

sorry but i dont like them at all just cause i can tell its not truely hdr. the shots in general are ok.. but u cant hdr a moving subject no matter what.

You need a tripod if you're going to shoot at night.

An HDR "effect" can be made by one single photo. I learned that when you do this you should call it "tonemapped", as opposed to an HDR.

I've tried tonemapping one single photo before, and it can definitely create the effect of an HDR, as it can also improve detail like a real HDR. However, tonemapping one photo only works when it's done correctly. A true hdr made of multiple exposures is still more effective than using one image, however.

If you guys go to the Graphics Program forum on this site, look for my thread.(http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99682) The edit is done by tonemapping and messing around with photoshop.

Unfortunately I don't believe the tonemapping of the photos in this thread are good at all. Not trying to be rude/ negative, but I doubt there's a significant difference than the photos "tonemapped" and your originals.

Just keep on tampering around, soon you'll be able to nail these.

Discussions of single-image HDR come up around here every once in a while. I don't care what anyone says, by definition there is absolutely no such thing. Every photograph has a discrete exposure range that is inherently incapable of being extended via processing.

An HDR "effect" can be made by one single photo. I learned that when you do this you should call it "tonemapped", as opposed to an HDR.

I've tried tonemapping one single photo before, and it can definitely create the effect of an HDR, as it can also improve detail like a real HDR. However, tonemapping one photo only works when it's done correctly. A true hdr made of multiple exposures is still more effective than using one image, however.

If you guys go to the Graphics Program forum on this site, look for my thread.(http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99682) The edit is done by tonemapping and messing around with photoshop.

Unfortunately I don't believe the tonemapping of the photos in this thread are good at all. Not trying to be rude/ negative, but I doubt there's a significant difference than the photos "tonemapped" and your originals.

Just keep on tampering around, soon you'll be able to nail these.

HDR / Tone mapping take a look at this thread.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back