HDR processing, thoughts?

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know alot of folks dont like HDR, usually because they have been overcooked, but it does offer a much better dynamic range when done well.

Light was absolutely uninspiring, the original is reasonably accurate to how the scene looked.

1. Original, some PP on the "correct" exposure, but it definately would not be a keeper.

orighdr61024.jpg

2. 3 shots, -2, 0, +2

crophdr61024.jpg

I had seen some amazing realistic looking HDR's that blew my socks off.

I have spent the last 24 hours experimenting, lots of dismal failures, a couple of "hmm this has potential" moments.

So tonight I went to look for a something cool to shoot and found nothing, and while I was sitting on a bench by the sea contemplating returning home with nothing to experiment with, I thought what the hell, take a couple shots and see what they look like. At first I composed without the rubbish bins, but since this was an experiment I included them to see what they would look like.

Metal and wood seem to come out pretty cool. Those damn bins keep drawing my eye.

Thoughts on my processing?

Rob, nice work. I usually don't like HDR, because of the overbaked images people like to do. This one is very well done, however. It adds depth to the image. Kudos. :thumbup:

Now go find something more interesting to shoot! :thumbup:

I like it much better than a lot of the HDRs people "overcook," as you said.

I would mention there's a bit of a halo effect over the far horizon, most notably the trees and a bit around the bins. Not sure if there's a fine tuning you can do to correct this or if it has something to do with the initial exposures. I recently (yesterday) downloaded and played around with Photomatix, so I don't have much experience, just observations :)

Keep posting!

p.s. any tiny/tricks you learn along the way, feel free to share :D

nice. with the preserved colors this HDR shot looks a lot better than other ones

Rob, nice work. I usually don't like HDR, because of the overbaked images people like to do. This one is very well done, however. It adds depth to the image. Kudos. :thumbup:

Now go find something more interesting to shoot! :thumbup:

Thanks, im working on it, 7 hours sleep in 72 hours is making the creative side of things cloudy, lol.

I would mention there's a bit of a halo effect over the far horizon.......

p.s. any tiny/tricks you learn along the way, feel free to share :D

Halos from the toning itself were pretty mild as far as HDR's go I suspect, I tried to tone best I could with my limited experience and its the one key thing I was looking out for. The bin and the tree halo on the left have already had a quick shop job done already, just enough to be presentable as a concept so to speak.

Will be sure to share, more experiments to come.

you still have some blownout highlights on the "sand" or gravel . You should be able to grain detail there with the right exposures.

think, what is the contrast range, that is what drives how many exposures are needed, not just 3. I know that is the rule of thumb but it isn't an absolute.

Keep working and experimenting as it is coming along

Thanks, im working on it, 7 hours sleep in 72 hours is making the creative side of things cloudy, lol.

Just stay up a lil longer then you'll be delusional and things will be -really- creative! :lol:

What editing software are you using to do this? Photomatix, photoshop? I'm curious. I've been playing with HDR too. I really like it.

nice. with the preserved colors this HDR shot looks a lot better than other ones

Thanks.

you still have some blownout highlights on the "sand" or gravel . You should be able to grain detail there with the right exposures.

think, what is the contrast range, that is what drives how many exposures are needed, not just 3. I know that is the rule of thumb but it isn't an absolute.

Keep working and experimenting as it is coming along

Thanks for your feedback Ann, good points.

What editing software are you using to do this? Photomatix, photoshop? I'm curious. I've been playing with HDR too. I really like it.

I am using CS5 only.

Ok so I have spent a couple days experimenting, still havent found that killer shot to use it on though, its been so damn windy here all week, but practice makes perfect for the day I do need it.

The following series of shots have the HDR version 2nd, the first is the best overall exposure from the series, minor corrections in ACR and then some sharpening, levels etc, so just the basics.

My goal was to capture the shot exactly as my eye saw it, hopefully with a similar dynamic range.

1. Original, shot this afternoon while I was checking out my new tripod, just assing around around with HDR. Textures, colour, contrast, difficult lighting and how it can all be worked with. So dont kill me for my composition on this one or the quad bike, lol.

Shot with 300mm, no filters, 3 exposures -2, 0, +2

Original
68322361.jpg

HDR

68375121.jpg

2. Original, I was suprised how much shadow detail the camera did pick up in this exposure considering I was going for a fairly extreme way of shooting this, but I guess there is a heap of light reflected back off the sand. Another test shot so excuse the slight vignette in the corners from my lens hood. 18-55mm kits lens + polariser.

55882650.jpg

HDR 6 shots -4 to +4

45561139.jpg

3. Original,18-55mm kits lens + polariser.

mounthdrmoodyhdr151.jpg

HDR 6 shots, -4 to +4

mounthdrmoodyhdr151.jpg

Open slather on the last image, comp etc, I did try a pano crop but I found I prefered the inclusion of the blue sky top rightish.

All HDR's have been processed to "how I saw it" accuracy, including blown area left of the quad.

Hell of a learning curve.

I would consider it a case of HDR done right. Or at the very worse, mostly right. haha.

Anyone whose seen my posts know I hate HDR but I've gotta say that does look good, well, better than the original.

I still don't see why people don't use exposure blending instead, far better results.

But you cant correctly expose some situations withouth making something blown because the range is too high!

Not sure why some of you dont like HDR. As you can see, if the OP only posted the after photo, most of us wont even know it is HDR.

But anyway, check out this link and video!
HDR video accomplished using dual 5D Mark IIs, is exactly what it sounds like -- Engadget

Much preferred the correctly exposed sample as opposed to the HDR

Most reactions

Back