HDR Q&A

wildmaven

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
wildmaven.org
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I didn't want to hijak Kanikula's thread in Wedding and Portrait Photography, so I think this is the most appropriate place to ask this. I know you usually do HDR from multiple images at different exposures, but there is a way to do it from a single exposure (as seen in the HDR Bride and Groom thread in the board listed above). I've tried, but I keep getting a message that says my image doesn't have enough "dynamic range". Can someone walk me through this, step by step, using RAW and Photoshop? :hug::

Note that if you use Photoshop CS2 it will not work if the EXIF information is preserved in the output images as CS2 will detect that the EV values of all exposures are the same, and tell you that there is insufficient dynamic range to produce an HDR image.

Well, that leaves me out, I guess. I own CS2. Has anyone tried the workarounds mentioned in the link?

Err it makes no sense to call this HDR. Call it what it is. Tone Mapping. Even from a single raw with multiple exposure adjustments there is no additional dynamic range.

Even in CS2 this can be done. Just convert a single image to 32bit and then back to 8bit and you'll get the ToneMapping box up. Not sure if there's another way though.

I would love to know who it is that decided to play with some curves and tonemap a single exposed image and then call it HDR :angry1:

Err it makes no sense to call this HDR. Call it what it is. Tone Mapping. Even from a single raw with multiple exposure adjustments there is no additional dynamic range.

Even in CS2 this can be done. Just convert a single image to 32bit and then back to 8bit and you'll get the ToneMapping box up. Not sure if there's another way though.

I would love to know who it is that decided to play with some curves and tonemap a single exposed image and then call it HDR :angry1:

Hahahhaha...You're right, of course. :hug:: I intend to play with the traditional HDR format with the bracketed images. Does CS2 give the same error with those?

Err it makes no sense to call this HDR. Call it what it is. Tone Mapping. Even from a single raw with multiple exposure adjustments there is no additional dynamic range

High five. :thumbup: I believe I tried to say this earlier. (mentioned thread)

wildmaven:
Look into picking up photomatix. Its a great HDR program, and it will let you do the tonemapping progress your speaking of. It makes HDR & Tonemapping very easy and effective. Its pretty cheap also, you can try it for free befor you buy it to see if you really like it.

Most reactions

Back