HDR Sony style

skieur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If you own a Sony camera, particularly a SLT, your approach to HDR will probably be different with several options.

1. Set DRO (dynamic range optimizer on) for a shot with minimal differences in dynamic range.

2. Set HDR automatic mode and chose a range up to 6 EV. The camera will shoot a burst of bracketed shots and then merge them together in camera. A tripod is NOT necessary. You can then look at the result on the live view screen.
These shots will show good detail with fine variations in lighting from the scene. They are more natural and less obviously HDR than I have seen with other cameras.

3. Set HDR painting mode: low, medium or high. Again the camera will shoot a burst of bracketed shots handheld and then merge them together in camera. These shots have more the illustration look or more extreme HDRs and the high choice may
have halos.

4. Set up your own burst speed bracketted shooting parameters and after doing several of different scenes, upload them into Paintshop Pro X4 or X5 ultimate and batch process them as multiple HDRs.

If you choose any of the above options and do it correctly, no further postprocessing should be necessary.

skieur

These are weak methods. The best is to bracket your own shots and then merge afterwards. DRO should be turned off and camera should always be on a tripod.

These are weak methods. The best is to bracket your own shots and then merge afterwards. DRO should be turned off and camera should always be on a tripod.

I certainly agree about DRO, unless you only wish a minor dynamic range improvement. However, if you get what you want in terms of an in camera HDR, then I see no need to bracket your own shots and merge afterwards. Potentially time wasted, unless you gain something.....so what do you gain? Same with a tripod. With a flipping mirror, sure the tripod is necessary, without the flipping mirror... you can still get the image sharp.

skieur

Hey op! Just post some of your HDR pics in this thread. Thank you. I will comment on them later.

Hey op! Just post some of your HDR pics in this thread. Thank you. I will comment on them later.

When I wish comments on my HDR pics, but from someone with more than just a cell phone camera, I will post them.

skieur

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back