HDR with D800

smenkhare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This may be a bit of a stupid question, but when bracketing for HDR with a D800, does the first shot have to be correctly exposed and it will +- either side, or do you start under exposed and it sequentially increases exposure?

I believe there are options that you can choose. I don't have D800, but on my D700, you can have it in different modes. Why don't you just try the different modes and fire a few shots first? Not that you are wasting money on film.

This may be a bit of a stupid question, but when bracketing for HDR with a D800, does the first shot have to be correctly exposed and it will +- either side, or do you start under exposed and it sequentially increases exposure?

Hum...I'm not sure it has to but mine always takes a proper exposure first and then a semi proper followed by a longer exposure. I haven't played around with anything more than 3 shots. In the end, does it matter? I mean my HDR soft where doesn't seen to be exposure specific...I load all the images at once and it stacks them.

If you use auto bracket then you want the exposure to be set at 0 if you manually adjust exposure then no but you want to make sure your exposures are the same as you adjust like in either 3rds or halts or full stops…other wise it will get a little whacy when processing. You can start in any order you like….

On most Nikon's, you can choose how you want the bracketed images to be exposed. - 0 +, - - 0, 0 + +, and ETC for more than three images. Typically, I set a mid exposure, take the images in the - 0 + format, and then check to make sure there are blown highlights in my longest exposure and none in my shortest exposure. If that's not the case, I reset my mid exposure and re-do.

Best,
Jake

and then check to make sure there are blown highlights in my longest exposure and none in my shortest exposure. If that's not the case, I reset my mid exposure and re-do.

Best,
Jake

Thats great but you could always add exposures and mask in blown out areas in photoshop. I am in no ways the top dog in HDR but I would like to add the importance of bringing back in your original exposures and masking back in or removing detail with layer masking. Many people do not do this and it shows in their final results.

Just a friendly food for thought.

and then check to make sure there are blown highlights in my longest exposure and none in my shortest exposure. If that's not the case, I reset my mid exposure and re-do.

Best,
Jake

Thats great but you could always add exposures and mask in blown out areas in photoshop. I am in no ways the top dog in HDR but I would like to add the importance of bringing back in your original exposures and masking back in or removing detail with layer masking. Many people do not do this and it shows in their final results.

Just a friendly food for thought.

Oh I agree completely, and have done just that in the past. I was merely trying to outline my "in-camera" process.

Best,
Jake

Most reactions

New Topics

Back