HDR?

Keith Gebhardt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.frombeyondmedia.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, ive been doign alot of research.. experimenting.. and lots of precious devoted time into trying to produce legit HDR's.

Ill throw some #'s, roughly 1000 images, sunny days, cloudy days, dark rooms with lots of ambient, and some others...

ive tried everything i could think of/read and i cannot get the results ive seen from others.

i use cs2 and from what i know, im doing everything correctly.

most my shots are 1 stop, up to 9 frames. 4 over and 4 under, 1 correct EV.

ive got one shot of a car that came out... ~ok~.

but i wanna beable to incorperate HDR into portraiture and fast moving action.

this is a high comparison.. higher then my expectations for rite now, but somthing i like very much and keep trying to duplicate. but i cant figure it out.

www.garylandphotography.com.

and its not just his work, alot of photogs have outstanding hdr portraits where they come to life. look 3D and real.

ive read and checked every online article and tutorial that any search engin could find.. so please help me out besides saying "google it".

thanks alot, much appreciation.
Keith.

Well 99% of the every remotely decent looking HDRs I have seen have had way more done to them than simple tonemapping. Search this forum for Woodsac's method. He gets some fantastic HDRs and the method was posted.

HDR in fast paced action? Doesn't exist. Regardless of what you may think. If you're talking about that kind of tonal quality you see HDRs have that's a result of tonemapping. The final image displays not a bit of extra dynamic range unless you take several different frames. (a single frame HDR is an oxymoron).

I believe there is a good guide to getting excellent landscape HDRs over at stuckincustoms.com

I have never done any, but all the ones I like were done on PhotoMatix.

The first thing you should be doing if you want the cartoony un-natural look is to incorporate Photomatix to your work flow. CS2 will not easily give these kind of results.
You can incorperate HDR into portraiture by bracketing, its really the only way that is quick enough to shoot portraits in HDR, as long as your model is still.
As Garbz said forget fast moving action, that isn't going to happen unless you create an image from one RAW which isn't really giving you the full benefit of HDR.

After you have played with Photomatix (which you will shocked how different it is to CS2), its all down to processing in PS to give it the final push.

Gary Land's work is actually not HDR portraits. His shots are combined shots of the subject and background, with a lot of planning in lighting, and a lot of digital editing done. The people in his work are shot seperately, he then merges them into backgrounds that he shoots with the overall scene in mind.

Here's a link to a great article about his work:
http://www.digitalphotopro.com/art/in-the-right-place.html

none of its HDR
every image that looks like that is not HDR

when you get the cartoon look its from tonemapping

most of his post picture editing is from
unsharp mask, dodge, and burn

i thought i finally break the news to all of you, who think that his pictures are HDR

and btw
the people who take a picture, and make it into 3 pictures, its not really HDR

and if u see my HDR work most of it is composed of 7-12 pictures

going from 5 stops under to 5 stops over

Most reactions

New Topics

Back