TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's HDRShooout #2 as a HDR challenge idea by Slicksalmon
in this challenge I am supplying you with 7 images I had taken
the zip file contains both the raw files & jpg for those unfamiliar with
processing raws.

Here's a screenshot of the scene. I haven't processed this image myself so I am fresh into this one.
Ev Range +/- 3EV 1 stop apart

xn9d6x.jpg

Download Files
*click regular download wait 15 sec enter captcha word and the file will begin to download
sorry but hey it's free file hosting site.

Last edited:
I was going to kill the last 20 mins of work playing with these, but: Estimated download time 20 mins?! I think I'll wait until I get home.

I was going to kill the last 20 mins of work playing with these, but: Estimated download time 20 mins?! I think I'll wait until I get home.

I chose that, and it took 2:31.

First go-around:

HDRSO2Post1.jpg

Luminance.
Auto-Align images
Profile 3
Mantiuk '06
Contract Factor 0.300
Saturation Factor 2.000
Detail Factor 5

Edited in GIMP 2.6 to remove ghosts of walking pedestrians as well as ciggy butt in foreground.

In Photoshop CS4 this time. Not particularly happy with it. Turns out I'm not very good at HDR - I couldn't satisfactorily get that blown out building down on the right. Although I quite like the bike.

Also, I forgot to write down the adjustments I made again :er:

Last edited:
Oh ya!

I'm going to do it when I get home!

This was a tough one to get straightened and cropped, because I couldn't figure out what the focus point was. I'm not entirely happy with it, but it's OK.

I only used 4 of the shots in 2EV jumps (#98, #96, #93, #95). Photomatix Pro, details enhancer, strength = 30, everything else in Photoshop.
Shootout_2.jpg

This was a tough one to get straightened and cropped, because I couldn't figure out what the focus point was. I'm not entirely happy with it, but it's OK.

I only used 4 of the shots in 2EV jumps (#98, #96, #93, #95). Photomatix Pro, details enhancer, strength = 30, everything else in Photoshop.
Shootout_2.jpg

Slick that looks good

I like Bynx version the best now

Yeah, the question for me was whether to leave in all of the bike, move the focal point to the right and retain that wide-angle look, or to move the focal point to the left, cut out part of the bike and tame the wide-angle look. Bynx did it one way; I did it the other. I didn't quite get it all straightened out, because you can still see barrel distortion on the left of my image. In terms of HDR, the orange building on the right in full sun was a real problem and just took over the image. I desaturated it a little, Bynx desaturated it a lot. I just thought the palm trees suggested that the sky should be fully saturated, and that decision drove the saturation of the other colors.

Mines:
5556935377_01f96216cf_b.jpg

Probably could have done a lot better with the slight glow to the left, but i didnt feel like taking the time to do that tedious work.

Last edited:
Slick salmon, why was it a question to leave in all the bike or not? I thought this whole thing was to see the differences between HDR software and and how they are used by people. Why would you even think about cropping it? Whether its an improvement or not to the composition is not the point. Just the HDR effects are what is asked for.

Most reactions

Back