Headin' to DC - I need to learn up on film

reg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to DC this fall and I'm seriously considering taking a (Nikon FE/Canon AE/Olympus OM/etc. generic 35mm SLR) with me, instead of the DSLR. I'm thinking B&W - T-Max 400 and I'm thinking that I would LOVE to take 1, maybe 2 rolls of Kodachrome. I know you have to send the Kodachrome to Dwayne's, even if you take it to Walmart or whatever. But what's a good processing place for the T-Max? You guys think these 2 films would be good all-around for walking around town?

Thanks,
a new film-ite

Edit: what about a rangefinder?

Save the chrome for a nice scenic park or something. TMax on the street. I think 400 would be a good speed on the street. Gives you many more handholding possibilities. My 35mm pill of choice. If you are gonna be nailing a bunch of shots in a row, set your shutter speed to go with f/8 and focus between 15 and 30 feet. F/8 and be there. Have fun and post pics. GO FILM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try Ilford XP2; this is a b&w film which is designed to be developed in colour chemistry (C41 process). It is nominally rated at ISO400 but can be shot at any speed between those shown on the packaging.
It will, however, take on a slight colour cast-generally sepia-unless printed on b&w paper. You should speak to your lab about this
Be aware that reversal stock (slide film) has very little exposure latitude thus you need to be very accurate in your exposure readings.

Personally, I prefer Tri-X over Tmax if you're sticking with Kodak, but I like Ilford HP5 the best as far as b/w film goes.

Keep in mind that if you're shooting 400+ speed film you might want to buy it there and then mail it home... airport security x-rays can fog fast film. It's especially important to avoid packing film with checked baggage--those x-rays are MUCH stronger!

lower speed film is safer to take pack on your carry on. Also keep in mind that x-rays are accumulative, if you are visiting any DC tourist traps you may have to keep passing through x-ray security.

Try Ilford XP2; this is a b&w film which is designed to be developed in colour chemistry (C41 process). It is nominally rated at ISO400 but can be shot at any speed between those shown on the packaging.
It will, however, take on a slight colour cast-generally sepia-unless printed on b&w paper. You should speak to your lab about this
Be aware that reversal stock (slide film) has very little exposure latitude thus you need to be very accurate in your exposure readings.

you would be better off just sticking to your DSLR than using this film.

I would suggest a slower B&W film for outdoors in daylight.

you would be better off just sticking to your DSLR than using this film.

XP2? Nothing wrong with it at all if it's well d&p'd by a lab that knows what it's doing and is used by a photographer who understands how b&w film works. Ok, it isn't 'true' b&w like HP5 but I've seen some excellent results from it.

tri-x and t-max are so grainy, even the lower asa ones, i would recommend ilford
I like Tri-X 400 specifically because of the grain.

I also push TMax 400 to 3200 instead of using a tripod at night because I like the way it looks :D

I like Tri-X 400 specifically because of the grain.

I also push TMax 400 to 3200 instead of using a tripod at night because I like the way it looks :D

So how do you feel about Tri-X 400 at 3200? I just used about 2-1/2 of rolls at a concert last night; the first was finishing off a roll I'd been shooting at 1600, and the others were at 3200. I've only tried it that fast once in the past, and most of that roll was in less marginal light than what I was dealing with at the concert.

My work week just started, so it might be Tuesday before I get around to dragging out the chemistry to develop those.

So how do you feel about Tri-X 400 at 3200? I just used about 2-1/2 of rolls at a concert last night; the first was finishing off a roll I'd been shooting at 1600, and the others were at 3200. I've only tried it that fast once in the past, and most of that roll was in less marginal light than what I was dealing with at the concert.

My work week just started, so it might be Tuesday before I get around to dragging out the chemistry to develop those.
I've never tried Tri-X at 3200, might be interesting ;)

Seems kinda odd to shoot real black and white and send it off to be developed. The way it turns out depends so greatly on the person developing the film. At least with C-41 it's just stuck in the machine which churns out reasonably acceptable results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back