headshot critique needed

Lunatick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm experimenting with different softening techniques for portraits (glamour shot type stuff) and came up with this in photoshop.

tara1.jpg

Too much? Could I go with a little more? little less? Any other critique is also welcomed, I'm always looking to improve on what I have!

Its a little dark on the one side of her face but other then that its not too bad.

There are two "rules" I was taught about this type of portrait, which you may like to consider: 1. Always get catchlights in the eyes. 2. Never let a nose shadow touch the upper lip.

As for the softening, it looks like you've overdone it a bit with something like the clone tool or similar.

Rob

you have "hatchet lighting" use fill flash to achieve highlights in the eyes and take shdows from the subjects face then apply your softening filter, portraits need to be well lit.

Rob said:
2. Never let a nose shadow touch the upper lip.
Rob
Rob, I'm just curious about this comment. Which formal lighting technique are you referring to?

Yeah I was thinking it was a little overdone.

As for the shadows, my intention was to have some, I used heavy directional light and no flash to get it, I also have many with even lighting all over. I'm thinking this type of "dramatic" lighting doesn't work too well with softening.

Lunatick said:
Yeah I was thinking it was a little overdone.

As for the shadows, my intention was to have some, I used heavy directional light and no flash to get it, I also have many with even lighting all over. I'm thinking this type of "dramatic" lighting doesn't work too well with softening.

Your lighting arrangement is a good attempt at "Rembrandt Lighting". Rembrandt is used most often to portray drama in movies. Whenever a movie camera pans to and stops on a head shot in movies, the Rembrandt Lighting technique is nearly always used. Some distinguishable characteristics of this lighting technique is 2:00 o'clock or 10:00 o'clock side lighting that creates a nose shadow that extends to the jaw line; and a triangular highlight that appears upon the cheek fartherst from the main light.

Your image is missing critical catchlights in the eyes.

Pick up a September issue of GT and notice how the commercial photographers use Rembrandt Light almost exclusively. And you'll see many examples where 'softening' is used with low-key and dramatic large light ratios

midnitejam said:
Your lighting arrangement is a good attempt at "Rembrandt Lighting". Rembrandt is used most often to portray drama in movies. Whenever a movie camera pans to and stops on a head shot in movies, the Rembrandt Lighting technique is nearly always used. Some distinguishable characteristics of this lighting technique is 2:00 o'clock or 10:00 o'clock side lighting that creates a nose shadow that extends to the jaw line; and a triangular highlight that appears upon the cheek fartherst from the main light.

Your image is missing critical catchlights in the eyes.

Pick up a September issue of GT and notice how the commercial photographers use Rembrandt Light almost exclusively. And you'll see many examples where 'softening' is used with low-key and dramatic large light ratios

I'll have to do that, thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back