headshot feedback!

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I did some headshots yesterday for a young woman who has big dreams of making it into the upcoming Mulan action film. I'd love some thoughts on the shot, especially on the crop and the shoulder patterning of the shirt (was wondering if it was distracting or not). I'll post the original and the crop. Thanks!

IMG_5260-Edit-2 by Jeffrey Lee, on Flickr

IMG_5260-Edit by Jeffrey Lee, on Flickr

Last edited:
The shirt, while not ideal, is not an issue. The issue is her rather bland expression.

I much prefer the second crop and I don't think what shows of the texture on her top detracts. You used the past tense so it sounds like she no longer has illusions of making it into the Mulan action film.

I much prefer the second crop and I don't think what shows of the texture on her top detracts. You used the past tense so it sounds like she no longer has illusions of making it into the Mulan action film.
Oops, meant present tense has*

Tell me why you shot portraits in landscape orientation? Does the background tell part of the story? No, both of these should be in "portrait" or vertically oriented to show more of her and less of a non-critical background.

Otherwise she's beautiful. Light is a bit flat (lack of shadow) but nice catchlight.

Nothing wrong with her attire. Show it off!

Here's a couple closer crops. I do horizontal because I like having giving the eye some space to move around. The vertical crop is a bit too tight for my tastes. Sort of been influenced by Peter Hurley's work.

crops by Jeffrey Lee, on Flickr

crops-2 by Jeffrey Lee, on Flickr

These aren't bad at all. But slightly more dramatic lighting would be nicer and so would portrait instead of landscape.

She is a lovely young woman, but if I was casting a movie (especially an action) and her photo came over my desk with a bunch of others. I most likely wouldn't give her an audition. Not because she not pretty enough (she is beautiful) or anything like that, but because there is no emotion in her face. She just has a smile for the snapshot smile, I would want to see someone that would make me believe they could act the part I give them. It doesn't matter how good of an actor she is, if I don't see true emotion in the photo, I will not be interested.
I know this doesn't have to do as much with your photography skill, as it does her modeling skill. If you watch some videos on posing and modeling, you could help her pull her acting skill (which I am sure she has :) ) into these photos. Keep up the good work, and wish the best of luck to both of you. :)

These aren't bad at all. But slightly more dramatic lighting would be nicer and so would portrait instead of landscape.

She is a lovely young woman, but if I was casting a movie (especially an action) and her photo came over my desk with a bunch of others. I most likely wouldn't give her an audition. Not because she not pretty enough (she is beautiful) or anything like that, but because there is no emotion in her face. She just has a smile for the snapshot smile, I would want to see someone that would make me believe they could act the part I give them. It doesn't matter how good of an actor she is, if I don't see true emotion in the photo, I will not be interested.
I know this doesn't have to do as much with your photography skill, as it does her modeling skill. If you watch some videos on posing and modeling, you could help her pull her acting skill (which I am sure she has :) ) into these photos. Keep up the good work, and wish the best of luck to both of you. :)

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Those are some points that I was thinking of during the shoot. It's interesting because I was really working to get some expressions out of her. We started off with blank expressions, then I started throwing out words for her to try to do (e.g., sly, amused) which sort of worked - some of the words she didn't know, so that was a problem haha.

I think we would have gotten more interesting expressions if we had a better "flow" going. Basically the weather was super windy and partly cloudy. So, we had the sun moving in and out of the clouds, PLUS the wind blowing her hair all over the place. We would get going and into a groove for about 30 seconds, then the sun would go away or she would have to fix her hair. It was pretty frustrating and a good lesson for me - pick a better day to shoot!

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Those are some points that I was thinking of during the shoot. It's interesting because I was really working to get some expressions out of her. We started off with blank expressions, then I started throwing out words for her to try to do (e.g., sly, amused) which sort of worked - some of the words she didn't know, so that was a problem haha.

I think we would have gotten more interesting expressions if we had a better "flow" going. Basically the weather was super windy and partly cloudy. So, we had the sun moving in and out of the clouds, PLUS the wind blowing her hair all over the place. We would get going and into a groove for about 30 seconds, then the sun would go away or she would have to fix her hair. It was pretty frustrating and a good lesson for me - pick a better day to shoot!

I bet that did make it harder.
The weather is always hard to work with! :)

FWIW it is possible that the fact she is looking directly at the camera and the light is pretty flat this adds to the blandness. Maybe turning her head away a bit and having her look back or even straight ahead with some shadow on her cheeks may have helped.

Most reactions

Back