Headshot Session!

Get with the times. They're allowed to vote now too.
With apologies in advance to the OP; no derailment intended... WHY do people associate gender specificity with gender bias ("sexism"). Gender specificity is a part of almost every language on the planet. It has NOTHING whatsoever to do with putting someone down, but our language is based on gender. He, she, him, her. If a document contains the words "actress" and "actor", it's easy to use the correct salutation, etc. From a photographic perspective... You get an e-mail from I.M. Bigagent; he wants you to take a series of headshots & promotional stills for a new actor he's sending over. You have no idea whether or not you should be thinking masculine poses, feminine poses, etc... or, perhaps we should just eliminate that too?
It is an antiquated term that goes back to a heavily sexist male-dominated society. That was CENTURIES ago, back before women were allowed to vote, speak out in public, teach, play sports, be doctors, lawyers or most other professions. We're no longer in that era, and so the sexist language that supported those notions is no longer appropriate, like it or not. The language of sexism is no longer appropriate for the same reasons that the language of racism is no longer appropriate. The jokes of sexism are no longer appropriate or funny for the same reasons that the jokes of racism are no longer appropriate or funny. We are moving on from that stuff, and rightly so. Some must be dragged along by their heels, it seems, but they will not stop the progress of equality.

Now a question for you: Are you totally screwed and have no clue how to prepare to shoot a "model" because she wasn't referred to as a "modeless"?

Let's stay on topic or the thread will be closed. The topic is that of the posted images.

thanks

Agree mostly with WB comments. Her eye color is a dead give-away. FWIW, I prefer the middle. The others are a bit too cool, but that style can work in some cases. Then again, a headshot should show what someone really looks like, so which ever is closest to how she looks in person is probably best.

I don't mind the horizontal headshot, it's en vogue and trendy.

Whoa. Alright, where to start. Haha :p

First, I will number next time :p

Next: WB was probably my main concern, so I'm thankful for the comments on that. I tried a grey card, but it really didn't work. I basically eyeballed it. I THINK my desktop monitor is not displaying properly...even with the brightness all the way up because pictures look a lot brighter on my phone than they do on my desktop. So that's something I need to figure out.

Here is a link to a hidden album with lots of shots if anyone cares to peruse. They aren't all perfection, clearly, but it gives you an idea of the scope of the shoot (well...170/500+ haha), as well as in-camera settings (they are unedited).

https://plus.google.com/photos/1064...s/5840080531603001905?authkey=CKTk3p6Gws-lxgE

Fyi - I turned off "it's okay to edit my photos" because I wouldn't want photos of her floating around that I couldn't remove...unless there's something I'm missing.

I personally like the straight on (as a specific choice, not necessarily and everyday thing....even though I happen to fall into that on accident :p). For a female, I see it as a cool actor shot because of the juxtaposition between masculine and feminine. Could make an interesting shot for those badass chick roles. I also know that portrait and landscape are both industry standard, right now at least, which is why I'm experimenting with both. (Gives a client the most options, for their own wants or perhaps even an agents)

I agree that "towering over" is not cute. I actually apologized to my model, but she said she liked those ones! :p I think it makes the model lose their neck :/

Also, in terms of cropping, I kinda like a tight crop. Granted, I probably shouldn't have cut into her forehead; however, cutting into the hair/head seems standard from my research of top headshot photographer. I'm not saying anything about artistic sense or preference or whatever, just who's leading the industry and what casting directors expect to see on their desk. Clearly, I do wish to create my own style though :)

Lighting.....I did a lot of reading up on outdoor lighting. So, what I'm understanding from comments, is perhaps I went too far and made the lighting too even? I did use a reflector when the eyes were a bit dark. But it's all pretty new.

Okay, I think I hit most points. Thanks everybody! Feel free to bring a picture in from the google album if you feel it's worth mentioning a strength or weakness.

-J

p.s.
there were so many posts, so I figured quoting would just make it messy. let me know if that's something I should be doing tho.

Most reactions

Back