Headshots of my GF and a friend

ahijada

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have to admit, I wasn't intending to use any of these photos as a headshot. They were originally a full body portrait, and then cropped in to what it is now.

All shot with the Nikon D3100 with either the kit lens(#3 photo) or the 35mm 1.8(#1 and #2 pictures).

#1: My GF.
Exposure 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture f/2.0
Focal Length 35 mm
ISO Speed 3200
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash No Flash
Post in Lightroom 3: B/W, +blacks, +contrast, +noise reduction, +sharpened

All Smiles by AKH Photography, on Flickr

#2: My GF again
Exposure 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture f/1.8
Focal Length 35 mm
ISO Speed 3200
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash No Flash
Post in Lightroom 3: B/W, +blacks, +contrast, -clarity(just a tad), +noise reduction, +sharpened

Beautiful Smile by AKH Photography, on Flickr

#3: A Friend
Exposure 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture f/5.6
Focal Length 55 mm
ISO Speed 200
Exposure Bias 0 EV
Flash No Flash
Post in Lightroom 3: B/W, -/+exposure (can't remember), +blacks, +contrast, +sharpened

Sunny Days by AKH Photography, on Flickr

I noticed that the 2nd picture of my GF isn't as sharp as I wanted it to be. My focus was probably really off and that, combined with cropping it in probably did the most damage. Any pointers to shooting headshots (no pun intended lol)? I'd like to do more of these in the future.

Thanks folks!

Nice, 1 and 3 have harsh shadows fill flash may have helped. The watermark is distracting.

Thanks for the input. #3 was shot with a sunset right in front of her. I believe I can do some fill light through LR3. I'll go play around with them.

Pretty ladies. If you have to shoot at ISO 3200 you might be needing some light. 35mm is a bit short for portraiture, even on a crop body. Fill light and post fill is not the same thing ;)

Yeah, @ 3200, I was desperate for some fill light at that time of the shot. I just tried fixing and adding some fill light in LR and it was a no go. Thanks for your input!

In the future if you don't have a flash for fill, perhaps put your subject in the shade and have someone in the sunlight use a reflector to bounce light onto them. Reflectors are very inexpensive.

Also if you are close the pop-up flash on your camera may serve as fill, but it also can introduce a host of other issues like red eye, and crazy flat lighting if you use too much.

Most reactions

Back