Headshots with Ashley for C&C

max3k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wanted to practice taking some headshots. So I got Ashley here to model for me. What do you think?

6608645535_4e8e6ff287_b.jpg

6608645215_3c1fc1b7ff_b.jpg

I like the second one more as her head is chopped off partially in number one. Still good photos though

I like them both okay. It looks to me like the focus was a bit soft but it might be my eyes. (Looks moreso in #1 to me.) Also something about the catchlight in #1 bothers me.

Yeah, I'm not sure if you were trying Clamshell Lighting in the first one but I would have preferred the overhead to be the Key

C&C per req:

1. By definition, a head shot should be of the head, and include the whole head. I think a portrait orientation would have allowed you to do that. Why did you opt for horizontal/landscape compositions? The lightings seems slightly hot on the face, and, as mentioned, the focus appears slightly soft.

2. Definitely too hot in the face; probably 2/3 of a stop, and again, not sure about the landscape composition. I would suggest trying a different lighting set-up; say key 30 degrees camera right, with your largest SB aimed just slightly down, and a refelctor opposite and low, aimed up.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

I agree with John, looks just a hair too hot. Moving your key off to one side will create a bit more dramatic, three-dimensional feel. Being a "headshot" by tradition, its lighting shouldn't be too dramatic, however. I usually put my key 20-40 degrees to one side with a silver or white reflector opposite and a rim light up and behind for some edge lighting.

Shots look good though. Good shooting!

Most reactions

Back