Health in the Darkroom

Photog1123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

Happy New Year to all you. I have a question I'm hoping one of you might have an answer for me. I have a black and white darkroom. I've been processing black and white film and printing for around 2 years. Recently, I decided to process some color C-41 film and broke out with bad hives. In and out of the Hospital 2 x in a week I might have gone back in too soon, around 3 days later. I processed two rolls of T-Max 100 and broke out again. I'm very concerned my darkroom days are being me. On the last process I used a painter mask with two filters and latex gloves. Has anyone out there experienced this type of thing and have you found a solution.

Many Thanks in advance.

Michel

Hi All,

Happy New Year to all you. I have a question I'm hoping one of you might have an answer for me. I have a black and white darkroom. I've been processing black and white film and printing for around 2 years. Recently, I decided to process some color C-41 film and broke out with bad hives. In and out of the Hospital 2 x in a week I might have gone back in too soon, around 3 days later. I processed two rolls of T-Max 100 and broke out again. I'm very concerned my darkroom days are being me. On the last process I used a painter mask with two filters and latex gloves. Has anyone out there experienced this type of thing and have you found a solution.

Many Thanks in advance.

Michel

https://www.amazon.com/Overexposure...546298001&sr=8-1&keywords=rossol+overexposure

Don't process color in a home darkroom -- not worth it.

Joe

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you very much for the help. I have a professional darkroom. When I watched the Cinestill Video on mixing and processing the C-41 the gentlemen didn't have a mask on so I thought it was safe. But this link to Amazon is going to help a lot in understanding chemicals in the future. I do not plan on processing color film at this point. I'm very grateful for your prompt response. Cheers. Michel

You may be allergic to one of the chemicals in the C41 kit.
  • Did you mix the chemicals in the darkroom or outside?
  • If any is powdered, mixing powder chemicals in a darkroom is not a good idea, as some of the powder goes airborne and settles around the darkroom.
  • Do you have an exhaust fan where you deal with the chemicals?
  • If you don't have GOOD exhaust ventilation, you may have trace amounts of the chemicals on the darkroom surfaces.
  • You should probably do a through wet wipe down of the ENTIRE darkroom, while dressed in long sleeve shirt, gloves and charcoal filter respirator, and use a fan to ventilate the darkroom while you are cleaning it.

Hi,

When I mix D76 or Dektol it's in my darkroom sink which is around 8' x 4' and 8" deep. The water temperature for mixing is 130 for D76 and I think Decktol 105. I clean after each processing or printing. This was the first and last time I will process film with C-41 Cinestillfilm. I watched the instructional video on their website and the teacher had no mask on so I assumed it was okay to do the same. However, those chemicals are extremely messy and pungent in comparison to the b/w process just describe. I think my exhaust system is weak. I have just a simple fan which is light leak proof. I plan on changing that immediately. I've owned two darkrooms. This one is relatively new (4 months) old. My last one 2 years old. I do wear long sleeve sweaters with an apron. When I mix my chemicals I'll often leave the door to my darkroom open to my photo studio. I appreciate your suggestions. I'm taking a few days away from my darkroom but when I get back I intend to wear a mask, latex gloves and clean all surfaces. Before I begin processing or printing I intend to study this further. I love that darkroom. Thanks

I've attached a photo of my darkroom.

M

Attachments

• IMG_7158.jpg
    IMG_7158.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 238
Drat, if the darkroom opens to your studio, you don't want to blow anything that might trigger an allergy attack from the darkroom into the studio.
If your exhaust system is weak, address that soon.

BTW, the exhaust is what I have to address if I move back into my parents home, with a darkroom.
We built the darkroom without knowing much about proper ventilation.

Yes, everything seems to be pointing at the exhaust system. Doran L-1224 Light Tight Darkroom Louver for Pro-Lab Fans is the one I think I'm going to install.

Yes exhaust and bringing fresh air back into the darkroom is important. I just used a regular Home Depot bathroom fan (a larger model) the hard part was crawling on my belly for twenty-five plus feet to get flexible ductwork (greater than 15" in diameter) through a spider(black widows) infested zone so the fan emptied to the outside not just to another room. No point putting money in a fancy fan the key is to get the fumes outside.

Have you thought about a Jobo system for developing both film and prints? Expensive yes, but once your media has been loaded in the dark you can have the lights on door open. The other benefit is a much more controlled workflow so you are not getting chemicals on your skin. Just a thought as there are sure to be used units out there. I used them in this custom lab I use to work in they were very nice.

Thank you very much. I'm learning a lot about ventilation. Earlier up it was recommended that I buy a book called Overexposure by Susan D Shaw. I received the book today and she lays out in a diagram what is good and not good. With Black and White Chemicals she recommends a system that draws the chemicals away. Makes total sense. I've been working with these chemicals for years with a simple fan above head but I guess they took a toll on me and I needed to get hives in order to realize the havoc they can have on you before taking the appropriate measures. I also looking into different options inc CPE-3 compact processor system but I'm hardcore and want to process and print myself. Not to say that if it came down to it and my health was going to be impacted more than it has I wouldn't consider it. I'm just not ready digital...I'm really grateful to everyone on here who has offered up suggestions. They are all great and have changed the way I use these chemicals. I have a greater appreciation for what we do as darkroom photographers. I respect the process. I'm certainly not going to take it for granted. Happy New Year. I think 2019 will be a defining year!

Hi All,

Many Thanks in advance.

Michel

https://www.amazon.com/Overexposure...546298001&sr=8-1&keywords=rossol+overexposure

Don't process color in a home darkroom -- not worth it.

Joe

Joe,

I wanted to let you know that I bought this book. What a great idea. Ventilation is featured with some great suggestions I plan on implementing right away. The most simple is to have the chemicals drawn away. This can be done very simply with the right kinda fan and louvers. No more breathing in chemicals. Much appreciated.

Michel

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back