Hedgecoe Project - Patterns in Nature

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Goal was to look for interesting patterns or composition in nature. Slow down, look. Granted I had an hour for lunch, so i looked for 45 minutes and shot for 15. Not enough time, I think I can do better with more practise. May not be everyones cup of tea. They (B & W) remind me of the pen & ink drawings I used to.

Should i pursue this more or just move on?

Things I learned... @Gary A. has told me to just look (Echo Hedgecoe), like walk around a fountain, study the light. So today, it was about looking, discovering the light, and what effect it has on the surface. Patterns are easier to spot in B & W.

1. Green cover. 16mm, custom velvia simulation.
2017_0510_10193400-02.jpeg

2. Vertical conifer. 16mm, custom Acros simulation.
2017_0510_10514100-01.jpeg

3. Cuves and depth, conifer. 16mm, custom acros simulation.
2017_0510_10395600-01.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T377V using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Honestly ... (of course honestly ... otherwise I'd be wasting my time ... I just felt that starting the my comments with that word would set a tone of seriousness), I think you nailed it. What I really liked was your shift to B&W which sorta blinds people into seeing a pattern and not be confused/distracted by the color ... smart move. Yeah you sorta nailed the assignment, especially under the time limit imposed by lunch. I think well done. Patterns in nature are harder to see than patterns in manmade stuff.

The third image is especially interesting in regards to patterns, because you have a repetitive pattern in the leaves which collectively creates a subtle pattern of flowing shapes. Yeah, I'm pushing it a bit ... but it's there. So yes you nailed it, but some of the nails are a bit loose.

Honestly ... (of course honestly ... otherwise I'd be wasting my time ... I just felt that starting the my comments with that word would set a tone of seriousness), I think you nailed it. What I really liked was your shift to B&W which sorta blinds people into seeing a pattern and not be confused/distracted by the color ... smart move. Yeah you sorta nailed the assignment, especially under the time limit imposed by lunch. I think well done. Patterns in nature are harder to see than patterns in manmade stuff.
Thanks. I'm encouraged by your words. I think I can improve if not feeling rushed. Maybe a couple more sessions where time is not an issue, I will be able to quickly see them. It was fun and intense.

I can hear the internal arguements ... "Is that a pattern ... is that a pattern ... there's one ... nah ... maybe ... hey, look at that ... "
Pretty much how it went. Had gas too....
Thanks. I'm encouraged by your words. I think I can improve if not feeling rushed. Maybe a couple more sessions where time is not an issue, I will be able to quickly see them. It was fun and intense.

I think maybe if there was more contrast by burning in the shadows on #3 it would add more definition and enhance the patterns, but as is I'm not feeling it. #1 and #2 rock! Like to see what #1 looks like as a B&W

I think maybe if there was more contrast by burning in the shadows on #3 it would add more definition and enhance the patterns, but as is I'm not feeling it. #1 and #2 rock! Like to see what #1 looks like as a B&W
Thanks bud. I could convert #1 in post. I shot in jpeg fine but looked at it first in Acros but didn't shoot it. I shot a few others, may post in here later when I get home. Still driving.

I can hear the internal arguements ... "Is that a pattern ... is that a pattern ... there's one ... nah ... maybe ... hey, look at that ... "
Pretty much how it went. Had gas too....
I won't emulate or speculate on the gas.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back