Heidi, Take Two - second senior session

Ajay

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had another senior session with Heidi a couple of days ago. I'm a lot happier with how these turned out compared to the ones we did a few months ago. I feel like I'm still struggling with creative composition/posing/cropping, but overall I'm feeling good.

CC welcome and appreciated!! Tell me how I can improve!

1-
DSC_0017-1.jpg

2-
DSC_0011-2.jpg

3-
DSC_0057.jpg

4-
DSC_0088.jpg

5-
DSC_0096.jpg

6-
DSC_0105.jpg

7-
DSC_0132.jpg

Not too into the whole senior portrait side of things. Last time I flipped through my HS year book I don't remember seeing too many horizontal framed shots. Thought all were either medium format or 35mm vertical.

Thank you for that helpful comment.

Seeing as how these photos aren't for a yearbook, but simply for her personal use, I think it will be okay that some of them are horizontal.

Hope you don't mind Ajay, but here is my take on your shots.

1 - I like the way you have the same/similar angle of her body with the tree trunk in the background. The OOF leaves in the backgound work well. It's just the river, meh. I would rather see some hue of blue.

2 - :thumbsup:
3 - Doesn't do much for me. I think the tree trunk is competing. Perhaps a shallower DoF. I realize the railing is there, but it is very man-made in a natural setting. Takes away from the impact.

4 - I'm afraid this one is a bit too square on to camera for me. Could be the lay of the dress that accentuates this feeling. I see a sign on the backside.

5 - Great smile. I might crop a bit closer to remove the unneeded arm.

6 - Again, great smile. Nice work on the bokeh. Perhaps too much head room, but that's personal taste.

7 - I'm seeing that sign again...gotta be the dress. The background is quite busy and seems a bit out of character for a senior photo.... maybe not, depends on where home is. But the whites seem to have lost their detail. She has a killer smile.

All that being said, wow, nice series you have there Ajay.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the critique Kundalini!

I must say I wasn't too fond of that dress when she pulled it out, but she said her mother insisted that she wear it. I can see what you mean about the shape of it being unflattering in some shots.

Number 1 doesn't have a river in the background - just a patch of grass that was in bright sunlight so no blue to be found. I still haven't worked out how to keep my backgrounds from being blown out while getting a good exposure on my subject. Any advice?

With number 7 - we did a few downtown shots so that is her hometown there. Kinda wish now that I'd gotten a different angle or used a shallower DOF.

Thanks again! I always enjoy your comments on my shots.

I still haven't worked out how to keep my backgrounds from being blown out while getting a good exposure on my subject. Any advice?
Are you using reflectors? If not, try that. If you are, try some gold or silver reflectors. Other than that, start reading up on flashes.

Are you using reflectors? If not, try that. If you are, try some gold or silver reflectors. Other than that, start reading up on flashes.
Unless I am completely off base, the use of reflectors can be extremely useful for the main subject, but has little, if absolutely nothing, to do with the background that is 50 feet away.

Ajay, I Ain't The One (an homage to Lynyrd Skynyrd)....where was I going with that?........ *laughs at himself*.... there was a point, but it must come at a later date.... sorry...completely lost it. *killing myself in laughter* "Say hello to my little friend" (in the voice of Tony Montana) (Scarface)....Unfortunately my little friend is named Jose. :lmao:

Ajay, I Ain't The One (an homage to Lynyrd Skynyrd)....where was I going with that?........ *laughs at himself*.... there was a point, but it must come at a later date.... sorry...completely lost it. *killing myself in laughter* "Say hello to my little friend" (in the voice of Tony Montana) (Scarface)....Unfortunately my little friend is named Jose. :lmao:

:raisedbrow: You been drinkin' tonight, kundalini? :lol:

Unless I am completely off base, the use of reflectors can be extremely useful for the main subject, but has little, if absolutely nothing, to do with the background that is 50 feet away.
It will put more light on the subject, which will drop the shutter speed, which will make for a dark background.

Though I admit, it won't have that much of an affect, which is why I suggested reading up on flash.

I love the second one - lighting is good, angle is good, expression great. Sharp.

I also love #7 - I love the background and the composition.

In the other ones, her face seems a tad dark or in shadows. As others have said, I'd try using a reflector, or a bit more flash.

#4 seems a tad out of focus? Or is that the upload?

Overall I think you did a good job. Just a few minor things...

I know you mentioned that you were having a hard time coming up with creative ideas - a lot of times I surf the web or look at other photog's blogs get some inspiration. A lot of times you can take someone else's idea and make it your own. :)

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the comments butterflygirl!

I think #4 might just be the upload. It looks as sharp as the others when I view it in Bridge.

I will do a bit more dodging on her face on some of the others. I wasn't sure if they still looked to dark or not. Thanks again for the feedback!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back