hello! also, shipments to turkey??

StvShoop

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.rpi.edu
hello! i used to be here all the time a year ago, but i've been busy. too busy to take photos, even (at the rate I used to). Maybe i'm back... ;)

gotta say, i'm back on business. I'll get to the point:

Does anyone know how to ship stuff from Albany, NY to Istanbul, Turkey?
I've got a cardboard box, 36x24x4 (inches), 10 lbs, containing 8(or 10?) foamcore presentation boards ("A1" size digital prints), 4 or 5 CD's, and some papers in envelopes, all in the same single package. I'm not 100% sure of all those details, because the box is in NY, and I'm in CA, but those numbers are pretty close.

Seems like the problem is the size, which cannot be reduced. The best online quote i've been able to find is $250 via UPS. I and 3 (maybe 4) other college students are trying to ship this thing. We thought the cost would be much much less, and now we're in a pickle 5 days before the postmark deadline for our submission to a competition.

I thought maybe someone on here would know something, as I'm sure there are people here who ship large prints (pho-to-graphic prints, perhaps? ;) ). We would greatly appreciate any advice or any advance notice of doom!

other comments...
- the new interface for the forum is wierd. where are the clickable emoticons? :eek:
- hi!!
- i've got some old photos at http://www.rpi.edu/~shoopr/photos/photo.html nothing i've posted on here before, though.
- anyone live in san diego? i've been here for 3 weeks and i'm having a tough time deciding what interests me to photograph around here. I don't understand the vibe of the place yet.
- hi tsien, i got your pm and will reply when i have more time
- my summer job promises to become less chaotic after tomorrow, so i hope i'll have time to look around, take some shots, and bring them to the forum!

~peace

Hellooo.
The only thing i can suggest with the shipping problem is to actually get in contact with some of the shipping companies (like big boat companies)... even the ones that do just holiday cruises for people. No Idea what the price would be for that. But I know that my Aunt shipped a whole bunch of stuff on a cruise liner from Sydney, Australia to Liverpool, England. (A Huuuuge Tool box 1.5m x .5m x.5m) Filled with tools and stereo speakers as well and furniture too and it only cost them a couple of hundred aussie dollars.
Do a search for cruise holidays and that'll give you an idea of all the companies out there chuggin across the ocean.

btw Welcome back!

Holy crap!! I thought you had disappeared for good. I was going to say that it costs quite a bit to ship something to Turkey but it looks like you already worked it out. Good to see you back, you've missed quite a bit. Let one of us know if there is anything you need help with on the forum because it's a whole different place than you're used to.

thanks hobbes. yeah, it's really different from last year. good to be back!

my one big question: where's the smileys? =O

here's the smileys part of the thread. There is an option somewhere in your User CP to view smileys if you can't see them already. Then they only show up if you do an advanced post vs. a quick reply. We used to have a thread somewhere describing all the new features...I'll dig that up and get you some light reading.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back