Hello and Photo Organisation

Geoffreyg123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi There,

I'm new to the forum. I'm a professional photographer based in Cambodia.

I'm always trying to organize my photos better. I have a method of rating photos withing Lightroom, but then I start a new catalog every month so not all my images are in one catalog. I'm most interested in organizing my personal work - I'd like all my works that I intend to make into an exhibition to be stored in one folder with the raw file, and JPEG. This sounds easy enough but it can take months for me to decide which images will make it into my selection and sometime they don't have the right file name and it can all be a bit confusing.

How do you organize your images so you can find and catalog them easily?

Thanks,

Geoff

Welcome Geoff,

Here is a quick summary of my LR layout, you might want to start a new thread regarding your Lightroom questions in the Graphics Programs section.

I have most of my images in one Catalog and then have Collections for images that are used for different requirements. So an Exhibition will usually start with a Catalog with the Exhibition name and I will drop images in there. I then go to that Collection and make virtual copies for any images that require changes to the Development settings and finally remove images until I have my final set. All my Raw and JPG files have the same initial name so I do not need them in the same directory. My Raw are by date in a directory Archive/year/month/day and my JPG are in a directory under Developed/year/show. Both the Raw and the JPG file start their file name with yyyymmdd_camera-file-name and then the JPG usually has at least "_Title" added automatically to the file name upon export.

Most reactions

Back