Hello from a traveling noob

archer520

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

The wife and I are relatively new full time travelers and have decided the photography is a natural fit hobby for our travels. Neither of us have any experience beyond using cheap point and shoot cameras to chronicle the kids growing up.
I found this site while looking for a good forum to plug into. Looks like good info and helpful members. I will be spending time here absorbing info. I am sure I will have a lot of questions as I move forward.

Welcome to our madness! Since you are full time travelers you must have time to read. Pick up as many photography books as you can. I've been doing this for a long time, so I don't know what the good introductory books are now, but I'm sure someone will recommend some.

Welcome to our madness! Since you are full time travelers you must have time to read. Pick up as many photography books as you can. I've been doing this for a long time, so I don't know what the good introductory books are now, but I'm sure someone will recommend some.

Thanks for the welcome and the input.

I did pick up the National Geographic course:
Fundamentals of Photography
By Joel Sartore

It has 21 - 31 minute video lectures. It was recommended by a friend.
I would be interested in recommendation for other resources for a beginner.

Last edited:
Neither of us have any experience beyond using cheap point and shoot cameras ..
This is pretty much wide open, then!

What do you envision doing with photography? Do you intend to purchase a different camera? Do you want to take some classes? Do you have any particular interest regarding photography?

Travel snapshots seem like the thing to do, but when all is said and done, what you'll have in the end is a lot of travel snapshots.

Sounds like a cool profession. Enjoy, welcome to tpf

You can get an upgrade to a focus camera that has lots of auto-everything. Most any brand of entry level DSLRs would do the job. Or you could find a camera that will let you set things manual so you can learn. Find one you like. There are cameras that you can put on auto or manual. Good luck.

With traveling, we will be taking a lot of landscape/cityscape/seascape type pictures. My interests are animal photography and macro images.
We have upgraded cameras. The wife has a Sony DSC-HX400V and I have a Nikon D3300 with and 18-55mm lens.

Well, we have been sitting still for the last few months. We get back on the road tomorrow. Hope to have some pics to share soon.

Are you RV travelers ? I am along with my hubby.
This site is AMAZING! I have learned a lot in the 3 years since I joined. Not that I have perfected any of it yet....:)
Welcome

Are you RV travelers ? I am along with my hubby.
This site is AMAZING! I have learned a lot in the 3 years since I joined. Not that I have perfected any of it yet....:)
We are RV'ers. Photography seems to be the perfect hobby for the lifestyle. It looks like this site will be a great resource.

Most reactions

Back