Hello from Alaska

wild4alaska

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi my name is Ben I have this crazy story. I'm an aspiring photographer. And I need a mentor. I had my camera stolen before I moved to Alaska. I was just getting into professional photography at the time. Now I live in Alaska and I would like to learn how I can make some money as a freelance photographer I don't even have a camera yet I want to get a 5d mark 3 but I am flat broke. I'm trying to save as much money as I can and was thinking of buying a cheaper camera and doing some photography to make my money back and more so I can get the Camera I want. I want to be a freelance photographer. If anyone can mentor me. I just need some advice maybe facebook chat or something. I have a blog My new life in Alaska. My journey to a self sufficient life. I am trying to document my life my friends say I'm pretty good at writing. Anyone willing to give me advice I have a plan but I just need some guidance. I really have a passion for this.

I figured being an event photographer shouldn't be that hard

Welcome to the party!! Don't mind Gary, he's a grumpy old guy. :hug::
Sorry to hear about your camera being stolen! That really sucks! As far as a mentor goes, you might want to have a camera in hand first. :mrgreen: Good luck w/ saving up the funds!

I'm not sure what the market for out of focus photos is in Alaska, but here in the lower 48, it's nil.

Why would you post 4 out of 5 pictures out of focus to a blog if that's how you imagine yourself making money?

As others have said, you definitely need to get a job. First. For now.

BTW: Welcome to the site. I'm not being harsh to be an ass... if photography is your passion you should pursue it. But if you think it's easy money you will likely be sorely disappointed. "Starving artist" isn't just a saying.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.

I figured being an event photographer shouldn't be that hard

LOL thanks I need a good laugh.

Event photography is not a walk in the park. You absolutely bust be able to deliver good images all the time.

If you screw up a photographing a wedding and are sued by the bride you are going to end up paying her a LOT more then what she payed you in the first place.

Based on this post and your other posts you seem to think that photography is a way to make quick easy money. Just like any other career photography takes time and practice to be good at it.

You need to stop focusing on the money part first and focus on learning photography first.

I took a look at blog and from the 4 images I saw only one was in focus the others were extremely out of focus. You say you are an asserting professional photographer yet your posting horrible photos on your blog. Yes I understand you had a camera stolen but even a camera phone can take better photos then those you posted.

Like I already said in my previous response you need to stop focusing on trying to make money with photography and start focusing on learning photography.

Welcome aboard Ben...good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back