Hello from Arizona!

tagan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I am completely new to this site as well as photography in general. The most I have done is take pictures with a crappy point and shoot camera and after a certain point, I had to say "enough is enough" and start learning to take REAL pictures :D With that said, I purchased myself a Nikon D5100 and here I go. I have been reading the forums here for a few days and I am both overwhelmed and excited at how much information is available here. Looking at some of the photo galleries has made me even more excited to learn everything I can to try to take better photos.

The most I have done so far with the camera is read the manual of course, start reading Nikon D5100 for Dummies (because I am a dummy after all!) and shoot some photos for Thanksgiving. It is a bit overwhelming at first but hopefully some things will start to click soon! I have attached one of my favorite pictures of one of my nephews from the holiday. I know it has a slew of things wrong with it (like use the flash next time, duh), but I thought it was cute anyways considering I had about 2 seconds to pickup the camera, turn it on, try to focus and shoot before he dove headfirst into the pie lol.

I have only begun to crack the surface on the loads of information available here. But from what I have seen so far, I am excited to be a part of it with you all and thank you all very much for posting all of the helpful information. It helps us newbies feel like there is at least more than a snowball's chance in hell to take a good photo some day :)

- Matt

$aaron.jpg

Welcome to the site.

:thumbup: Welcome to TPF Matt! :camera:

The photo you posted has an orangeish color cast to it.
That usually results from having a tungsten/incandescent light source but the camera's white balance set to auto, sunlight, or cloudy.
Different light source types have different light color temperatures. Unlike our eyes, your digital camera has to be told what color temperature light source is being used. Auto white balance doesn't always get it right.
Here is a small group of tutorials that cover some basic concepts and terminology. - Learn Photography Concepts

Most reactions

Back