Hello from Central VA, USA

Azurite180

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Okay, so I'm supposed to start here. What to say?

I'm not exactly new to photography, but by no means an expert.

My first experience with a camera was a Polaroid on a field trip in 1st grade. It was the old school model where you had to pull out the film pack and time it before you could peel the plastic backing with processing chemicals off the "paper" with the final image. I had so much fun Mom gave me her old Brownie to play with. Wish I knew what happened to that old thing. Yeah, I'm giving my age away :D

As time went on I moved to point and shoot (p&s) Kodak cameras that needed film cartridges (not 35mm). Along the way I had one opportunity to work in a darkroom, but shortly after, started high school and promptly forgot about photography. When I landed my first real full time job back in 1983, I purchased my very first 35mm SLR. It was a Pentax Super Program that I still have in a closet somewhere. I learned alot with that camera, purchased a tripod when I discovered long exposures and shake-y arms don't mix and played with a variety of lenses and filters. Then life took over - I married, had kids and acquired a multitude of small pocket cameras (including the DISC and the model that came out around 1999 which took standard, portrait or landscape with the flick of a switch) to catch those 'on the run' moments without another bag of gear to carry. The latest in that long line of P&S cameras is the Canon PowershotA3100 IS which worked okay until last week. At my oldest child's graduation, a once in a lifetime moment, the S L O W shutter speed and AF captured a picture of the back of someone's head instead of my graduate's moment on stage. That's when I realized it was time to move on to a DSLR.

So here I am. Trying to learn more about this marriage of digital age photo tech and old school SLR optics.

~ T.C.

Edited to add some images all taken with P&S cameras; no photo editing other than cropping (last picture is on our family camera so we hold the copyright, though I'm not sure which family member took it - hubby was driving) :

$flowers and bunnies 008.JPG $Water Lily.jpg $flowers and bunnies 016.JPG $mushroom 2.JPG $Daisy Closeup.JPG $Fly Catcher.JPG $jeep fording.JPG $Copy of camp jeep 03.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.

Welcome aboard.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for sharing the pics! I like the flower pics the best ;)...

Most reactions

Back