Hello from Houston!

TheLogan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, just wanted to say Hi, I'm somewhat new to the photo forum. I got my first DSLR for Christmas, the Canon XS. I'm really liking it so far. I just had a few questions. first, is there any lens that you would recommend as a first lens in the $200 range? and are there any great books that you would recommend as a good learning photography book?

Thanks everyone!
-Logan

Welcome aboard.

Hey Logan, welcome to TPF!

I'm a 30D shooter: I think anyone's first lens should be a fast prime - try the 50 mm f/1.8. A good "learning photography" book is [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230421271&sr=8-1]Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson[/ame].

Thanks for the welcomes. I went to the Houston Camera Exchange today and asked about the 50mm lens, and they were out, but the guy said it would be better to buy a used older model with the metal bracket or something. Is it really worth my time trying to find an older model?

Hmmm, I dunno about the metal bracket, but it's always good to buy new lenses - you get the warranty.

Most reactions

Back