Hello from Nebraska

usafaviator

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings. I'm a recently retired USAF aviator, now pursuing my lifelong dream of devoting my time to learning photography. I'm fairly new to learning the hobby/professional side of photography, but I can shoot a mean point and shoot or cell phone picture:mrgreen: I look forward to learning as much I can from everybody and, hopefully, to contribute when I can.

Greetings. I'm a recently retired USAF aviator, now pursuing my lifelong dream of devoting my time to learning photography. I'm fairly new to learning the hobby/professional side of photography, but I can shoot a mean point and shoot or cell phone picture:mrgreen: I look forward to learning as much I can from everybody and, hopefully, to contribute when I can.

Lol.. well welcome back, also from Nebraska. When I took up the hobby myself after a very, very long hiatus I started with a bridge camera myself, eventually upgraded to DSLR, been very happy with that decision ever since.

Welcome to the site.

Thanks! I did a lot of research, looking for a camera that I could "grow" with as I become more proficient and landed on the 70D w/ the 18-135 (kit) and the 70-300. As I plan to do more portraiture (and lower light shots), I have the 50mm 1.4 that should be here tomorrow morning. My instructor has us shooting everything in manual, monochrome at 400 ISO, no flash and shutter speed not to dip below 60...so it has been pretty challenging to shoot indoors.

Last edited:
Thanks! I did a lot of research, looking for a camera that I could "grow" with as I become more proficient and landed on the 70D w/ the 18-135 (kit) and the 70-300. As I plan to do more portraiture (and lower light shots), I have the 50mm 1.4 that should be here tomorrow morning. My instructor has us shooting everything in manual, monochrome at 400 ISO, no flash and shutter speed not to dip below 60...so it has been pretty challenging to shoot indoors.

I'm a nikon guy myself, but from what I've seen the 70D is a really nice setup. I'm guessing your instructor probably already told you this but quick FYI on the 50 mm 1.4, when you shoot wide open at 1.4 be careful when selecting your focus point because at that aperture the depth of field is pretty narrow. I'm hoping for my most recent lens purchase to show up soon myself, I put some money into a 70-200 mm F2.8 myself. Sadly though the post office can't seem to figure out where my home town is, they've sent the lens from Des Moines to Salt Lake City and now back to Des Moines again, so they've driven it past my place twice now and it's no closer now than it was almost a week ago. {sigh}

I'm a nikon guy myself, but from what I've seen the 70D is a really nice setup. I'm guessing your instructor probably already told you this but quick FYI on the 50 mm 1.4, when you shoot wide open at 1.4 be careful when selecting your focus point because at that aperture the depth of field is pretty narrow. I'm hoping for my most recent lens purchase to show up soon myself, I put some money into a 70-200 mm F2.8 myself. Sadly though the post office can't seem to figure out where my home town is, they've sent the lens from Des Moines to Salt Lake City and now back to Des Moines again, so they've driven it past my place twice now and it's no closer now than it was almost a week ago. {sigh}

It's inefficiencies like that which demonstrate why the USPS is hurting. I have had the exact same issue recently as well. No matter what hobby I'm involved in, I'm a gear junkie. I have been looking at the 70-200 L glass as well, just have to wait a while beffore I can pull the trigger on it. There is a big difference between the IS vs non-IS versions in $$$$.

It's inefficiencies like that which demonstrate why the USPS is hurting. I have had the exact same issue recently as well. No matter what hobby I'm involved in, I'm a gear junkie. I have been looking at the 70-200 L glass as well, just have to wait a while beffore I can pull the trigger on it. There is a big difference between the IS vs non-IS versions in $$$$.

I got a killer deal on the lens itself, it's a Sigma with the OS (optical stabilization) and I only paid a little over $700 for it, I'm sure if the post office can ever manage to deliver it I'll be a pretty happy camper. Worst case scenario I guess the guy that I bought it from will end up having to file and insurance claim - but I'm really hoping that won't happen because I seriously doubt I'll find a deal like that one again.

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service!

Most reactions

Back