Hello from NJ

Vacay-Snaps

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I had an SLR many years ago and took some fair pictures with it. However, it seemed the more I read about photography, the more difficult it became to put into practice. Life intervened (and getting film developed was expensive!), so I lost interest for several years. As digital cameras became available, I started getting interested again. After years of taking vacation snaps, I've decided I need a hobby to get me outdoors and more active.

If I make some progress this year, I'll treat myself next year to a DSLR. I'm currently using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ60, a super-zoom point and shoot. I also take pics with my phone. I use Zoner Photo Studio 18, and have recently started using the Nik Collection.

I have a couple of questions about forum etiquette not covered in the rules.
1. I've been using the search function and reading old threads. If I have a question related to an old topic, is it preferred that the old thread gets bumped, a new one gets started, or doesn't really matter?
2. The post function is saving drafts, but how do you access them? I searched through my control panel but didn't see a place for thread drafts.

Cheers.

Welcome aboard.

My general thought is: if the old thread does not really answer a question for you, then post a new one. I commend you for researching - many don't.

I'm not sure what you mean by the drafts. If I start to post something and don't, the text I've typed will stay in the post window (it gets greyed out, once I leave that thread) but when I return to that specific thread, I just click in the post window and what Ive previously typed can be edited or posted as if I had just created it. As far as I know, it stays there indefinitely until I post or erase it.

Welcome aboard.

My general thought is: if the old thread does not really answer a question for you, then post a new one. I commend you for researching - many don't.

I'm not sure what you mean by the drafts. If I start to post something and don't, the text I've typed will stay in the post window (it gets greyed out, once I leave that thread) but when I return to that specific thread, I just click in the post window and what Ive previously typed can be edited or posted as if I had just created it. As far as I know, it stays there indefinitely until I post or erase it.
Thanks. The post box has a floppy disk icon to save drafts, and little pop-up appears saying "saved draft." I assumed it was like email where you would have a drafts folder, but it appears to be automatic as you said.

I'v never seen (or paid attention to) this until now. I have no clue - I can save, I can delete, but see no way to do anything else. Maybe it's a feature that isn't implemented but the icon is there - like mystery cable connections in a car for options you don't have.

I have a couple of questions about forum etiquette not covered in the rules.
1. I've been using the search function and reading old threads. If I have a question related to an old topic, is it preferred that the old thread gets bumped, a new one gets started, or doesn't really matter?
2. The post function is saving drafts, but how do you access them? I searched through my control panel but didn't see a place for thread drafts.
Welcome!

1. You can respond to any old thread, but the original poster may be no longer active, and therefore your contribution will be wasted. If the topic is important to you, then you should begin a new thread, and reference the fact that you DID do a search, and HAVE ALREADY read some old threads. That way, you can avoid the annoying admonitions to "go search some old threads".

2. If you eventually post your response, the site will use the draft that it has saved, and there will no longer be any draft anywhere. If you simply change your mind and don't post a response, the draft will be in memory for sometime in the future if you wish to respond to that thread, and I assume they eventually "time out", but I don't know how long they're saved.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back