Hello from Toronto

coreduo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just say hi to all of you here. I love photography as much as some or all of you do.

Cheers!!

Just say hi to all of you here. I love photography as much as some or all of you do.

Cheers!!

Your signature line seems like FICTION to me. Explain, please.

skieur

Your signature line seems like FICTION to me. Explain, please.

skieur

It's a satirical statement that symbolizes or paraphrases all the legal cases in the US, British and Canadian Supreme Court on personal injury lawsuits that cover photography where defendants were slapped with hundreds of thousands of dollars as compensatory, exemplary, punitive damages...etc.

Last edited:
It's a satirical statement that symbolizes or paraphrases all the legal cases in the US, British and Canadian Supreme Court on personal injury lawsuits that cover photography where defendants were slapped with hundreds of thousands of dollars as compensatory, exemplary, punitive damages...etc.

I am still missing something, since no one has been successfully sued for taking pictures in Canada, the US, or Britain. It is the right of any photographer under the respective laws of these countries.

skieur

I am still missing something, since no one has been successfully sued for taking pictures in Canada, the US, or Britain. It is the right of any photographer under the respective laws of these countries.

skieur

Go to a law library. Get a Case Law Finder. Look into photography. You'll read cases on photography where defendants are fined. Or look under Photo release form requirements.or privacy cases. Either US Supreme Court, British or Canadian.

Last edited:
Go to a law library. Get a Case Law Finder. Look into photography. You'll read cases on photography where defendants are fined. Or look under Photo release form requirements.or privacy cases. Either US Supreme Court, British or Canadian.

Simply NOT true. All constitutions and charters contain the right to self-expression and the enjoyment of property which covers photography. Read "Photography and the Law" in this forum's articles. Aside from perhaps in a court room, top secret locations, washrooms, change rooms, etc., there are NO laws against taking pictures anywhere.

skieur

Hi,

Photography is like a passion to me and I am sure most of you watching here. It's legal or not don't konw in details...

Simply NOT true. All constitutions and charters contain the right to self-expression and the enjoyment of property which covers photography. Read "Photography and the Law" in this forum's articles. Aside from perhaps in a court room, top secret locations, washrooms, change rooms, etc., there are NO laws against taking pictures anywhere.

skieur

We both presume that we refer to people whose permission are wanting or are private persons who want privacy. Don't we? As I said, read the legal cases. They are all cited in Case Law Citations. Read them. There are hundreds of them where plaintiffs were awarded compensatory, exemplary damages, etc. There are limits to the right to self-expression like libel, privacy, etc.
I would like to quote my photography professor in Seneca College, "You put my picture in the web, I'll sue you!!".

We both presume that we refer to people whose permission are wanting or are private persons who want privacy. Don't we? As I said, read the legal cases. They are all cited in Case Law Citations. Read them. There are hundreds of them where plaintiffs were awarded compensatory, exemplary damages, etc. There are limits to the right to self-expression like libel, privacy, etc.
I would like to quote my photography professor in Seneca College, "You put my picture in the web, I'll sue you!!".

Now you are talking about use of a photo, NOT taking the photo which is somewhat different.

Nevertheless in a public place in the US and Britain, a photo release is not needed for artistic or editorial use of photo of a person. In Canada, as a result of a recent decision, it may depend on how prominent a part of the photo is taken up by one individual.

As to your professor, he would not win any suit, if I took the photo and put it on the web. ;)

skieur

Now you are talking about use of a photo, NOT taking the photo which is somewhat different.

Nevertheless in a public place in the US and Britain, a photo release is not needed for artistic or editorial use of photo of a person. In Canada, as a result of a recent decision, it may depend on how prominent a part of the photo is taken up by one individual.

As to your professor, he would not win any suit, if I took the photo and put it on the web. ;)

skieur

There we go. If for commercial use, there should be signed photorelease form. That is what you can read from case citations. We had a hard time understanding each other due to undeclared premises. Now I agree with you!

But with regards the professor, I need more convincing. Privacy laws.

Hey, skieur! Your a fellow-Canadian!! Read your thread introduction. Proud to be Canadian, too.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back