Hello - Hiker from SoCal

Furashu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

My name is Davis and I am a Hiker, Runner, Video Game(Metal Gear/ Street Fighter Anyone?)/Movie( Fight Club/Old-Boy Anyone?)/Hip-Hop Fan(mostly underground, Logic/Jon Connor/Childish Gambino Anyone?.
I recently Graduated with a Degree in Business Finance, but really enjoy Design, Typography, and Photography.

I've always been interested in photography and read about it here and there, but never had the funds.

I recently went on a trip to Yosemite and took a handful of photos on my Point and Shoot and Iphone.
Needless to say I was very disappointed in the quality of my photos.

I normally hike during the Spring & Fall, but will start hiking in the Winter too and want to be able to capture great landscape photos of all of my hikes.
Normally I try to tackle long hikes of over 12+ miles, and for safety reasons I barely stay at the summits( to avoid nightfall on the way back). I thought buying a entry-level DSLR would allow me to capture these moments and appreciate the beautiful views better.

I've only been hiking for three years now, but thought it was a perfect time to get started in learning and investing into photography before I start hiking again.

I will probably buy my first DSLR body and Lens within the next 2-3 months.

Currently I am reading the tutorials on the beginners forum & guides at exposureguide.com( recommended by a friend)
if you have any recommendations on other websites for newbies i would appreciate it!

I look forward to learning from everyone from this forum!!!:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Davis.

A DSLR is certainly a better tool to help you get the high quality shots that you want...but they might not be the best choice for serious hiking, as they aren't nearly as small & light as other cameras. You might consider some of the new 'mirror-less' cameras, which are much smaller. But I guess it depends on your hikes and your priorities. My brother-in-law and some family went on a 3-day hike a couple weeks ago...packing in all of their food/shelter and supplies. My camera bag by itself weights about as much as one of their hiking packs. Which is probably why I'm more of a photographer than a hiker :lol:

But yes, any of the entry level DSLR cameras will probably fit your needs, but it's the lens that will be the harder choice. You may want a wide angle lens to capture the views...but you might also want a telephoto lens to capture wildlife etc. There are some 'do-it-all' lenses that zoom from pretty wide to pretty long, but there is a significant compromise to the image quality with a lens like that. But, probably still much better than a P&S or phone-cam.

Welcome aboard Davis.

A DSLR is certainly a better tool to help you get the high quality shots that you want...but they might not be the best choice for serious hiking, as they aren't nearly as small & light as other cameras. You might consider some of the new 'mirror-less' cameras, which are much smaller. But I guess it depends on your hikes and your priorities. My brother-in-law and some family went on a 3-day hike a couple weeks ago...packing in all of their food/shelter and supplies. My camera bag by itself weights about as much as one of their hiking packs. Which is probably why I'm more of a photographer than a hiker :lol:

But yes, any of the entry level DSLR cameras will probably fit your needs, but it's the lens that will be the harder choice. You may want a wide angle lens to capture the views...but you might also want a telephoto lens to capture wildlife etc. There are some 'do-it-all' lenses that zoom from pretty wide to pretty long, but there is a significant compromise to the image quality with a lens like that. But, probably still much better than a P&S or phone-cam.

Yeah I am currently looking at the Canon 10-22/Tokina 11-16 lenses for wide angle shots.
I don't really run into too much wild life/really have any interest in taking photos of animals lol.

I mostly go on Long Day Hikes 8-12 hours and my pack usually only weighs about 15 lbs( mostly water)
I want to avoid getting a do-everything kind of lense and just want to focus on landscapes.

If i go on backpacking trips, well i'd already be carrying about 30-40lbs in hiking/camping gear. adding on another what 5-8lbs on my neck wont make a difference, ill just have to suck it up haha.

I already have all the hiking gear I need, so my money can be used towards a good body and one wide angle lens for the upcoming year.

Appreciate your input Big Mike.

The sad part of landscape photography is that the photo seldom has the impact that you saw in person. Nevertheless, a wide angle would suit your needs best. Remember that a DSLR weighs more than a compact P&S, but can make better pictures. The P&S is handy, but often lacks the versatility of a DSLR.

My Wallet Hurts, but bought a Refurb t3i with a Kit Lens to start!

will eventually buy a 10-22 or 11-16 lens when i feel the need to upgrade!

Most reactions

Back