Hello I am new to photography and I love it!

topazsol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi my name is Topaz, I am a married stay at home mom in Oregon. I just started getting into photography a few months ago. I got my 1st DSLR and I have been taking pictures non stop ever since. I love learning, it's my obsession. My studio is opening on June 4th. I will be doing mostly Old Time photography, western/ prairie costumes and sets. But I will also be doing portraits, family photos, newborns, maternity, etc. The only thing I will not be doing is weddings. Too many people get crazy during weddings, but who knows what the future holds! Anyway, I look forward to exchanging ideas and opinions with other photographers.

So you have a couple of months of experience, and you are already opening a business? Interesting! Please post some of your "work"! :)

Oo, think I need to keep my lawn chair and cigars at the ready.

Charlie, Bitter you promised to be and play nice :)

Last edited:
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your work and best of luck in your new found adventures. I'm going to be building up some studio lighting myself. May I ask you what you're outfitting your studio with to get some ideas?

We have a huge wall of costumes, saloon girl styles, prairie clothing, Victorian, etc. 150 pairs of shoes and extensive costume jewelry. We have a mobile trailer with a set in it to take to fairs, parades, and events. We have it set up so people can do a studio shoot, or a shoot in the mobile set, or an outdoor shoot with Shetland ponies and mini horses. My family own 6 ponies and 5 mini horses and they said I could use them for whatever photography ideas I have. The ponies and minis are trained to pull wagons and we have covered wagons as well. We leased the property next to the studio for the ponies and wagons. We are also going to have a huge tipi on the property. Not just for shoots, we love tipis. I am hoping to have kid's birthday parties and things like that.

As far as props go, we have all the standard Old Time photograhy props like barrells, a bar, bottles, guns, etc. I am really excited about my studio opening! I am basically doing this for fun but obviously I don't mind making a little side money. I am so new to photography that I am going to offer inexpensive prices. It's not that I am not confident in my ability, I am! It's just that I am not in desperate need for money and I really want to make this a fun experience. I don't want to get overwhelmed and quit. That's why my studio will be open 3 days a week. My family will be running their business of selling horse equipment the days I am not working. Obviously, they are extremely horse oriented. Where I live is the high desert, people are into horses and the wild west so I think this would be really fun to do. If I don't make a huge amount of money, that's ok with me! :)

I really don't need negativity and people bringing me down about what I am going to be doing. I am a very happy optimistic person, I have a really good feeling about this endeavor and a ton of support from my family, friends, and community. I am a very encouraging enthusiastic person and I like to surround myself with people like that as well. I do appreciate constructive critisism but being outright rude is something that I find pretty common when it comes to photographers. I find people to be very snobby and downright mean at times that is really very unnecessary. I am going to do what I am going to do regardless so please people, keep it civil when communicating with me. Thanks! :)

That's pretty neat with all the costumes. There's definitely a niche in that genre and if you can get in the door, you'll be good to go. You're not using any lighting in the studio itself? That's what I was curious about what you're using as a set up.

My best friend has actually been bugging me for years to do this very thing in my area. I'd love to know what you have for your set up. Especially lights. That's my one concern. Also, what are you using for printing and processing? Do you have the pictures being saved to the card or directly going into the computer?

Oo, think I need to keep my lawn chair and cigars at the ready.

Charlie, Bitter you promised to be and play nice :)

I just asked to see some of her work, what is "not nice" about that? :)

cgipson1 said:

Temptation my friend :)

cgipson1 said:

Temptation my friend :)

Nah! I have a new policy! If the work is worth commenting on.. I comment! If it is not worth commenting on.. I don't! Less stress (and happier mods!)

So how long had you been doing photography until you opened ur business??

A few months the OP said.

I'm just surprised at the amount of capital it sounds like was put in when the whole thing hinges on business management abilities and photographic knowledge.

I'm curious though, do you have a tax ID and $1m in insurance so that if someone gets hurts and you get sued etc.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back