Hello, I need some advice in the photography world

charlieclimber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm Charlie and I am new to this forum and I am an amateur photographer. I currently own a high-end point and shoot camera buy I'm in the market for an entry level dSLR. Most of my photographs are of urban exploration (outdoor) and mountain landscapes. I am considering buying an EOS Rebel T3i. Any suggestions on if that camera is a good investment? I am also wondering what lenses I should buy (an entry-level zoom lens would be preferred).
Thanks,
Charlie

Welcome to the site. i am new here as well. Got a EOS 650D and i absolutely love it.

It's a great camera. The lenses you invest in will mean more than the body does. The kit lens is a very good little lens for an entry level lens. What is the budget you want to spend on an additional lens?

I agree that the Canon Rebel series of cameras are really great. Like, MLeeK stated your budget will guide your purchuse on lenses, but I would just use your kit lens for a while until you find out what you really want. It might change by then, or you could always do the 55-250 which is fairly inexpensive.

:thumbup: Welcome to TPF Charlie! :camera:

I'm moving this for you to a forum that should get you more info regarding the Canon T3i.

FWIW. Here in the US it's a Canon EOS Rebel T3i. In Japan it's a Canon EOS Kiss X5. In the rest of the world it's a Canon EOS 600D.

i am new here also, i dont know that much about wide angle lenses, not sure what a good mm range would be ...

Hey there!

I started on a T1i (Still use it!) when they first came out, and the T2i+ weren't available. FWIW, the second lens I got was a 75-300 f/4-5.6 III. Like any super-zoom lens it's not incredibly sharp, but it is cheap and gives you a ton of options. I think around $200 nabs you that. For another $100 you can get the 55-250 which adds image stabilization. I'm pleased with the lens though, as it opens the door to wildlife, landscapes, AND it has (In my opinion) softer, more pleasant bokeh than the 18-55. Futerhmore, it makes a better portrait lens than the kit lens. Zoomed out to 300mm, and standing back, you can get a gorgeous, soft background blur. You certainly give up some sharpness, but, you don't spend a lot either.

Another great investment for a beginner is a 'nifty fifty'. That's Canon's 50mm f/1.8 II lens. Nikon also has a similar lens if you end up going that route. It's super duper sharp, super duper fast, allows for excellent low light, excellent bokeh, and on your crop body it effectively becomes 85mm which is kind of a sweet spot for a lot of shots. It's a prime lens, so you have to use 'sneaker zoom', and, walk closer! But it is incredibly sharp (most primes are). The best part is, they are DIRT cheap, a hundred bucks will grab it brand new all over the place.

The rebels are really great cameras though. I know of a few pros who keep them as a backup camera in their bag and/or use them regularly. (Real pros, not faux pros, as in Studio, booked months in advance, and have been doing it 30 years! lol). The lenses are more important than the body.

I'd like a 5D Mk III and I'll likely nab one in the next couple of years, but the nice thing about these 'prosumer' rebels is that they really have the potential to do great work. I'm not in any big hurry for the 5DIII and don't feel like I'm limited now. I think that's the secret between them being such great beginner cameras, they are also great intermediate cameras and in capable hands can even be pro cameras if need be!

I bought a T3i with two lenses (18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS II and 75-300 f4-5.6 III) on BUY.com, and I can't wait to finally get them this weekend! Check out BUY for some awesome kits. For $800, I got the T3i, lenses, lens cleaning kit, 16GB card (doesn't say what speed it is, so it may be something cheap), a strap, tripod, and I think there may be a remote in there... Good beginner kit, and I plan on getting a decent prime lens in the near future. FIRST, I'm watching popular YouTubers, reading forums, listening to podcasts, etc. on basic tips and tricks. You can't learn enough!

Here's the kit I bought. Comments welcome, but I'm posting so the OP can see what kits are out there for a decent price without having to bid on it. If you want to spend less, there are T3 and T2i kits as well. Want to spend a bit more, T4i kits are on there, too.

Most reactions

Back